Penryn - An update to wait for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Considering a Mac... hopefully
How big and important is the Penryn update? I've heard it uses the 45nm whatever, but what does this all mean? Can I get a better battery life? Does it output less heat?

I know most of you tell others to buy when you need it, but I would like to buy when a new hardware comes out. Would the Penryn update to the MB be in May or is it earlier in March?

Please move this thread if it's not in the right place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
all shall be revealed at macworld (waves arms) [ que sci-fi music]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
bump

bump bump bump

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
In general, Penryn will be able to run faster while generating less heat, due to the smaller size. The first wave is supposed to support 3.33 GHz parts. There should be both dual core and quad core version. I suspect we will see the dual core Penryns show up in the iMac and the quad core ones into the Mac Pro. Initial tests I have seen show that the Penryn is about 10% faster in real world tests than an equivalent speed Conroe (today's Core 2 Duo).

SO, if you don't need a new computer right now, sure, Penryn is worth waiting for. Let me vote with my feet - *I* am waiting for them before I get a new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I could see it would be worth the wait if the speed jump was to 3.33GHz but if the jump is 10% that's nothing to cry over. A 10% difference would be like deciding to get the 2.4GHz MBP over the 2.2GHz MBP.
First to upgrade the Mac Pro's. They haven't seen an update since 2006, right?it might be awhile for the iMacs.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the Macbooks (the middle end) were to get Penryn sometime in May, how much of a speed difference would that be over today's C2D? Would that also be 10%? And how much longer battery life would I get with a Penryn MB? And the heat output? Is there any drastic changes to look forward to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Question: Are you making fun of everyone's mom with the Tu Madre in your sig? I don't get it.

You are asking questions about speculations of what the processor may or may not accomplish.

Yes, it will probably run a little cooler. It will probably run a little more efficient thusly saving some battery life. It will obviously run a little faster. You seem to ask for specifics which no one can give you.

If you wait and wait for the latest and greatest MacBook, you will never buy one. But it sounds like you really don't need one right now so just be patient and wait. If you can't wait till "May" or whenever you speculate the Penryn MacBook will be released, buy one today.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Question: Are you making fun of everyone's mom with the Tu Madre in your sig? I don't get it.

I don't get you. Do you actually take these seriously? That's like saying...

Bob: So what did you do over the weekend?
Amy: Your mom!
Bob: LOL

It's just a joke we teenagers use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't get you. Do you actually take these seriously? That's like saying...

Bob: So what did you do over the weekend?
Amy: Your mom!
Bob: LOL

It's just a joke we teenagers use.

I am not a teenager but I get jokes. That makes me laugh cause I have a friend who didn't get a joke once so he repeats quite often "I get jokes" in a very sarcastic tone. I also get your joke above but it references a comment, "What did you do over the weekend?"
Just saying "your mom" isn't funny. It either references nothing which is just weird or you're making fun of everyone's mom.

Getting back on your mom, I mean topic... <---see funny

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not a teenager but I get jokes. That makes me laugh cause I have a friend who didn't get a joke once so he repeats quite often "I get jokes" in a very sarcastic tone. I also get your joke above but it references a comment, "What did you do over the weekend?"
Just saying "your mom" isn't funny. It either references nothing which is just weird or you're making fun of everyone's mom.

Getting back on your mom, I mean topic... <---see funny

OMG!!! You still don't get it, do you? Replying your mom to "What did you do over the weekend?" is supposed to sound wrong and perverted. You see?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I get it now.... My bad. (sarcasm) I figured you understood that I understand "mom" jokes after reading my mom joke about your mom, but I guess not.

How does just saying "Tu madre" (your mom in english) sound dirty and perverted? That's all I am really asking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.