Local Area Connection Help

P

PMJx2

Latly (past 2 days), my powerbook keeps getting disconected from the local area every now and then and signs back on. I have a wireless router that connects to my pc, that sends the signal to my powerbook which is real close by. It never did this befor, and i decided i would just let it slide the first few times, but now its getting more annoying then ever. What is the cause of this? I already made sure everything was pluged in correctly and everything, and I can't seem to find the problem... :mad:

OP
O

Orion119

Why don't you get the signal directlyfrom your router? are there any electronic equipment between your powerbook and your signal source? This can cause interference.

OP
P

PMJx2

NO but whats wierd is...I turned off my pc just to expriment , and now i never lose connection and it works just fine!

OP
O

Orion119

It sounds like routing the connection through your PC is the problem. What kind of router do you have? Have you tried setting it up so they recieve the signal independantly? Are you using direct ethernet connections or airport?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
I had this problem on a D-link wireless router when using 128-bit encryption for the WEP key. If you are using a d-link wireless router with 128-bit encryption try setting it to 64. If you aren't using a d-link wireless disregard this post. :)

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

No, i believe this happened to my friends network, he had to change some setting(can't remember what it was) so that one connection can't break the other one off. Also make sure that you aren't running any things with vacum tubes(ie: guitar amps[wierd story happened to me{to long to tell}]), or any microwaves< as these can severe connections.

Also if your PC is not a notebook you can try to set up a wired network for that and a wireless one for powerbooky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Let us know how it works. I'm not sure if the problem is common among different d-link routers...the one we have at work that it was happening on is a DI-614+.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.