Seeing File size of multiple files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
So lets say i have a folder with other folders and files in it, is there a way to, if i selected say 10 of those files, see how much space those 10 files are taking up combined? Like What the size of all the files are, if they were one file and i selected it and pressed i.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Note that the Get info window that pops up after pressing Command+Option+I is dynamic unlike the usual get info. It changes according to what file(s) you have selected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
But if you have less than 10 files selected it'll show a get info screen for each file and for 10 or more I think it's a combined screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
But if you have less than 10 files selected it'll show a get info screen for each file and for 10 or more I think it's a combined screen.

That only applies with the CMD+I.
CMD+Option+I is different

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I have been looking for this feature for ever. So thank you. I want to add that when you do this, it takes a little bit of time for it to calculate the size, you'll see it say, "calculating" in the window. Maybe 15-30 seconds.

Great tip. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
^^ Maybe for some of the top level folders with hundreds of thousands of files. But otherwise the file size is shown almost instantaneous... (it might be that way for apps as well)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (1G)/ 1.42 GHz PPC / 512MB Crucial RAM / 80 GB HDD / 160GB LaCie mini
WhatSize gives you a nice way to look at file sizes with folder hierarchy. Very useful when you want to know what's taking up all the space. (It's usually some folder called "Downloaded", isn't it? lol)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.