Hard drive compatibility

Reaction score
Alright, I was given a couple free internal hard drives, they're hitachi deskstars. I wanted to use them in my Mac Pro as extra drives for music and such. Anyways, I don't know much about hardware, so I'll throw up the hard drive specs, I just want to know if they'll work with the mac pro.

Hard drive Name: Deskstar 180GXP (Product home page)
Model number: IC35L120AVV207-0
Part number: 07N9214
Capacity: 120 GB
Rotational speed (RPM): 7200
Interface: ATA-6
Form factor: 3.5"
Cache size: 2 MB
Description: Generic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Ah, yes the Deathstar's.
Being as your mac pro (by what I have gathered) is SATA where as your Deathstar's are ATA you wont be able to use them without an adapter of some sort. For example: http://www.cooldrives.com/saidecomisat.html

Other than having to buy an adapter I don't see why not. I am not sure though as to wether or not you will have to set the deathstar's to master or slave. Either way it's a quick process.

I just hope they are better now since Hitachi bought them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hitachi took over the IBM DeskStar and as macOS9user says, they were then known as IBM DeathStar. Do a Google search for DeathStar. Struth I replaced some, mainly the 60GB however.

From experience don't buy a converter - you will buy a brand new SATA drive for your lovely Mac Pro./ Put it towards a 250/500 drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.