Typical

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo - 1GB RAM - 10.5.latest
The other day I walked into a store that sells iMac's and MacBook's and asked for a 2.4GHz Intel 24" iMac and was told they didn't have any left and it would take 6 weeks to get more, I said to myself "Typical, when I want a Mac they are sold out", I guess Vista really did make a lot of people switch..

So hopefully in a few weeks I should have my iMac and I will finally see what everyone is talking about.

I do have a few questions though, please don't "flame" me.

1. Are there any programs similar to Windows Media Player 10 or 11?
2. Whats the best program or application to use for chatting to friends on Windows Live Messenger.
3. Do I need a Firewall? (Seriously)
4. And just for the fun of it, can someone please tell me why Microsoft keeps giving its products long names? "Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium", "Windows Live Messenger" "Windows Live Mail", you get the idea. (oh, will we see a "Windows Live Internet Explorer" ?)
5. Whats a good torrent application that works like uTorrent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
The other day I walked into a store that sells iMac's and MacBook's and asked for a 2.4GHz Intel 24" iMac and was told they didn't have any left and it would take 6 weeks to get more, I said to myself "Typical, when I want a Mac they are sold out", I guess Vista really did make a lot of people switch..

So hopefully in a few weeks I should have my iMac and I will finally see what everyone is talking about.

2. Whats the best program or application to use for chatting to friends on Windows Live Messenger.
4. And just for the fun of it, can someone please tell me why Microsoft keeps giving its products long names? "Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium", "Windows Live Messenger" "Windows Live Mail", you get the idea. (oh, will we see a "Windows Live Internet Explorer" ?)
1.Quicktime (although their might be something else more like WMP)
3.No you do not you would only need that to protect other windows users that might connect to you Mac, as you are immune to almost all viruses, but you can still have one in your system that is lying dormant untill it gets on a PC which it can attack.
4.Because they want to seem smart but fail at doing so, because they don't understand the difference between long words and long names.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
2. I believe that Windows Live Messenger is just MS' new branding for MSN Messenger, correct? If so, then AdiumX is the best chat client in my opinion (as you can connect and chat over almost any service you can think of with it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
2. Adium

Sorry digital... not awake yet... just saw the big bold AdiumX in your post...

**runs off for more coffee**

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Have you considered ordering on-line? I'd imagine you'd get it a lot quicker than waiting for a store to restock.

Quicktime, but many prefer the excellent, free VLC Media Player. Either way, just about anything is better than WMP, IMO. There are many choices. Flip4Mac enables WMV compatibility in Quicktime, so you shouldn't have too much trouble with compatibility.

There's a lot of choices here. I like Adium, but there's also Windows Messenger for Mac, and aMSN.

Yes - and it's already built-in.

Sometimes when companies don't have a quality product, their marketing departments kick it into high gear to try to make it seem artificially appealing. I guess more names, more editions are intended to appeal to a wider audience.

I like Transmission, but there are many others. One of the nice things about Mac OS X is that it is UNIX-based, so it's easy to port Linux software over. So, there's a wealth of open-source software readily available - and what isn't, can be easily compiled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
Quicktime will play most videos with Flip4mac and perian installed. What doesnt work you can use VLC. For music you cna use itunes.

I had Adium installed, but it lacks webcam support. So i got aMSN and like it alot.

Theres alread one built in and configured for you :D

Because they think they can attract buyers like that?

I like Azureus (http://azureus.com/).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.