UPdate problem!!1

M

mac*

i just downloaded the update for panther,form apple web site, but when i install it after the agreement, it let me to chose the volume, but the only icon i got is the HD, and it labels with a ! sign, shows: this volume does not meet the requirement for update, so what happend?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here is a couple of questions. You are at least running OS X 10.3 and not OS X 10.2?

You do have enough space for the upgrade?

And just to be sure you did repair permission be you tried to do the upgrade? This may not resolve you problem in your case, but you should repair permission before and after a upgrade.

OP
M

mac*

yes, i am running 10.3 which i just brought week ago.
And i have plenty space for upgrating, the HD is left with 17G :D

i can not catch your last part,And i think that would be the source of problem, can you explain to me how to do that.Should i login as root or admin, if i do, how can i login as root, as i am really new to mac, i think step by step is better :p

OP
M

mac*

by the way , i put the download file on the desktop.

do you think i should put the download file into system diretory, or something????

Guys, please give me some helps. :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
mac* said:
by the way , i put the download file on the desktop.

do you think i should put the download file into system diretory, or something????

Guys, please give me some helps. :confused:

I would just use Software Update when trying to update the OS.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Down load and use Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.5 to update your system. Using the combo update tends to resolve most problems.

As for repair permissions, go to your application folder -> utilities folder, and run the disk utitily application. When the application comes up select your system disk, then near the bottom select repair permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Maybe you do not have the correct permissions for the update, maybe mac os x.3.5 is already installed on there?

Maybe it doesn't support s.m.a.r.t. technology (check the bottom box in disk utilities to see if it does - not that I would know if apple now requires smart though..)

Maybe it's on holiday...

OP
M

mac*

Aptmunich said:
Maybe you do not have the correct permissions for the update, maybe mac os x.3.5 is already installed on there?

Maybe it doesn't support s.m.a.r.t. technology (check the bottom box in disk utilities to see if it does - not that I would know if apple now requires smart though..)

Maybe it's on holiday...
the version of panther of my computer is 10.3.3,and i just can not find the place where you told me too check the S.M.A.R.T function.
Or should i just use the software update ?

OP
M

mac*

i have check the disk utility, and i think all the thing is ok, the permission is enable, but i just can not find the smart function :confused:maybe i am not smart enough to get that smart :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To clarify: S.m.a.r.t. basically just checks to see if a disk is going to fail or not. If it is, smart will tell you in time, so you can back-up your files and replace the drive.

Now I was just thinking that maybe mac osx is clever enough to check a disk's smart status before it installs itself there...

Click on the physical drive (not the volume, i.e. the formatted area below it in the drive listing) and right at the bottom of the DU window it might say s.m.a.r.t. status: normal, or something like that. If it says smart status: critical, then that's your problem. If it doesn't say anything - then your drive can't check itself for faults, and then that's not the problem...

Sorry for any confusion, but i suppose it beats the "have you repaired permissions and run crons" answer you normally get on mac boards :)

OP
M

mac*

Aptmunich said:
To clarify: S.m.a.r.t. basically just checks to see if a disk is going to fail or not. If it is, smart will tell you in time, so you can back-up your files and replace the drive.

:)
i went to the utilities/disk utility and there are two drivers on the left hand side,one is Macintosh HD, and another is lable as 27.9GB FUJITSU and i click the FUJITSU driver, at the right bottom, there is a SMART status, it shows VERIFIED.
thus is that consider as my hard disk problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
mac* said:
i downloaded the file form http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/, lables Mac OS X update 10.3.5 with 43MB.
please tell me why it would comes up with "The volume does not meet the requirement for updating?" after some steps of install?

I think the problem is that you downloaded an update that requires 10.3.4. Download the Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.5 which should be 88 MB in size.

In the future, I would really suggest using Software Update for things like this, because it will ensure that your system meets all of the requirements before it displays the OS X update.

OP
M

mac*

Padawan said:
I think the problem is that you downloaded an update that requires 10.3.4. Download the Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.5 which should be 88 MB in size.

In the future, I would really suggest using Software Update for things like this, because it will ensure that your system meets all of the requirements before it displays the OS X update.

yes, i think so, thank all of you :D :p

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I stated earlier, if you use the combo update to update your system. it tends to resolve most all problems. It is a lot larger than the regular update, but it is a complete update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"there is a SMART status, it shows VERIFIED.
thus is that consider as my hard disk problem?"

No, that means that your hard drive is physically in order & fine. so that mean's this is not your problem.

I'd now stop listening to me, and do what the nice people are telling you instead ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.