Radeon 9600 pro video card for G4?

Reaction score
I installed a new ATI Radeon 9600 pro video card on a Quicksilver G4 7433 Mhz machine. When I turn it on, there is no familiar Mac "tone" sound and the monitor is still dark and a small window appears which says "No signal detected" or "No Analog Signal Destected". I put the old card back in and installed the drivers and software hoping that would correct it, but it did not.

Why won't my monitor come on and/or the G4 boot up? Is it, but it just isn't making the usual "tone" sound?

Although it is an AGP BUS card for MAC, the bottom tabs are not the same as on the old card. Old card has the 3 shorter tabs with the little one out front. This new one is just 2 long tabs. That mean anything? It fits in the board slot...

Need help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
From your description of the card, the old one was connected to an LCD or similar through ADC (Apple Direct Connect)? The little one (first or last depending how you look at it) which is about 1/2" wide, is the ADC connection.

The 9600 is not ADC. The highest rated ATI card you can use with an ADC, if that is the case, is the ATI Radeon 9000 MAC PRO which does not support Leopard's features fully.

OP
A
Reaction score
I have not upgraded from Tiger to Leopard. So does that mean this 9600 Pro should work in this computer?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Where did you get your 9600 Pro from? Is it for sure made for a Mac? PC 9600's will not work in a Mac.

Also, is it an AGP 8X only version from a G5? That will not work in a Quicksilver which is AGP 4X. The 9600 that was for the G5 Towers is 8X AGP only.

OP
A
Reaction score
No, it said on the box front that it was a PC & Mac card. I finally found a website that explained the problem.

It seems that this Radeon 9600 Pro only works in the 2002 Quicksilver with the "Mirrored" doors. I have the 2001 "Yikes" model. THe Mac techs at the store don't know these little things, but I found a chart that lists all the Power Macs and which cards will work in them and this card does not go in my machine. I took it back this afternoon foor a credit...

This card is not an ADC card. It is a PCI card so there was no "power" rab receiving the power necessary to operate the monitor... small it4em that those nimrods didn't know. I even showed them that this was a PCI card and showed them the card out of mu machine which was aq ADC card and they said it didn't matter.

With that logic and knowledge, I'm sure NASA will let me help assemble the next shuttle....

I will order a compatible card off the net as I should have done in the first place.

I appreciate your help in this...

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh! The Yikes machines do not have an AGP slot hence the card will not work at all. You need to do a Google search for a Yikes 350/400 video card and see what it available.

With their obvious vast knowledge?? trust you got your money back. That is what forums are about helping each other, and for goodness sake......................

Keep away from them there spaceship thingos!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
harryb2448 is totally correct. A Yikes is a G4 with a G3 Blue and White Rev 2 board. No AGP. Totally different machine then any Quicksilver. Exactly what Mac do you have? Do you have a picture?

I have a real Yikes, Sawtooth, Digital Audio, and worked with Quicksilvers and MDD's (Mirror Drive Door). Yikes has no AGP, Sawtooth is AGP 2x. Digital Audio is AGP 4X.

Here is a good listing of AGP video cards for different G4 and G5 Macs.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/video/hardware/

Here is a site to help you identify your Power Mac G4. There is a Part 2 for newer G4's. Click the URL.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58418

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.