O.K... a question for newly switched Mac owners...

A

Anna

1. How do you find your Mac? Gorgeous and human-friendly, yet painfully slow at times.
2. Was changing OS'es from what you know in Windows to MacOS hard? Confusing in anyway? No, I just got it in January instead of my crap PC because my Dad didn't use it at work, took to it like a fish to water, got OS X (didn't know what it was at the time!) and never really looked back.
3. Is your Mac reliable? Does it crash, etc.? It does crash SOMETIMES, but not even nearly as much now that I have OS X. I normally leave it running for days and nothing goes wrong... worst that happens is I have to Force Quit but that's the application's fault.
4. If given the opportunity, would you go back? Possibly. Soley because this Mac is old and a bit slow, and to get a new one will cost me A LOT. Also compatibilty - I can't use Publisher on it and it's hard to network the printer (but that's because I have OS X 10.1...). I wouldn't WANT to go back, but money might force me to.
5. Would you recommend other's to the Macintosh Platform? Yes. I love it and recommend it all the time.
6. What you like to see on the Mac, apart from more games? Publisher - even though it's crap and i hate it, school makes me do work on it.
7. How you find the support given on this forum? If bad, or good then say why it's good or bad. Good... because it just is :/ you can find most of the answers to your problems just by searching... etc etc.

:)

S

sirlan

1. How do you find your Mac?

I love it

2. Was changing OS'es from what you know in Windows to MacOS hard? Confusing in anyway?

nope

3. Is your Mac reliable? Does it crash, etc.?

not one crash in the few months I've had it

4. If given the opportunity, would you go back?

I doubt I'll ever go back by choice

5. Would you recommend other's to the Macintosh Platform?

yep -- a friend decided to buy one and now my parents want one

6. What you like to see on the Mac, apart from more games?

I don't care about games but Windows does have a couple of better features

7. How you find the support given on this forum? If bad, or good then say why it's good or bad.

haven't needed support so I don't know how it is -- about the same as other forums I guess

I

ilg

1: I love it
2: no problem for me, it does take some getting used to. like where to find certain settings.
3: no problems yet, it has been more reliable than my pc will ever be
4: weell i still use both platforms, there are just some peices of software that the mac does not have.
5: yes i would
6: a true version af msn, with all the features of the pc version, and some other basic pieces of software.
7: im a new user, but i have already learned alot from this forum alone, i really enjoy its content.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Ilg I got a mac version of MSN from microsoft.com . I'm not sure if it's the "full" version though.

I

ilg

yeah i have it too, but you do not have the same features that the windows version does. no web cam use, no pictures, the list goes on. i have tried dmsn but its not the same either. i guess i will just have to wait.

gort said:
Ilg I got a mac version of MSN from microsoft.com . I'm not sure if it's the "full" version though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
1. My lovely new Mac is Great.
2. Basics easy but bought 'The Missing Manual' for Panther to learn more.
3. Once in 6 months, fine after reboot.
4. Still own a Windows XP box which is sitting switched off in the corner sulking.
5. Yes.
6. Can't think of anything offhand. Plenty of good quality freeware/open software available for download.
7. Just joined but all info is useful. ;)

M

Matt

I know what you mean, ann. The iMac G3's aren't the speediest machines, well at least with OS X. I also have a Windows Laptop running XP, only 8 months old, but still prefer the Mac.

1. Of couse

2. It's been 3 weeks, still learning things here and there

3.It was trouble at first, I hope everthing is OK now :touches wooden desk:

4. Already got a Wintel Laptop, I feel sorry for it

5.Yes, I would reccomend highly a new one if feasable to them.

6. Publisher, decent WP that comes free with Panther.

7. Yes, very much so :)

OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
WOW... You all seem to like your Mac. Glad your switch wasn't invain.

More replys welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
1. How do you find your Mac? - Absolutley amazing.
2. Was changing OS'es from what you know in Windows to MacOS hard? Confusing in anyway? - Easiest thing ever...All you have to do is forget everything about Windows because OS X is simply logical.
3. Is your Mac reliable? Does it crash, etc.? - So far it is reliable. I had a few kernel panics, but after I did a format and install, it's perfect.
4. If given the opportunity, would you go back? - ABSOLUTLEY NEVER!
5. Would you recommend other's to the Macintosh Platform? - Yes, I would...in fact....I do!
6. What you like to see on the Mac, apart from more games? - Tiger come out sooner!
7. How you find the support given on this forum? If bad, or good then say why it's good or bad. - Amazing!

P

PinkPhishDoors

I usually find it sleeping on me, so i just give it a little smack in the drive.

2. Was changing OS'es from what you know in Windows to MacOS hard? Confusing in anyway?
I have been with my mac for a while but i think the hardest/only thing that is hard for me on my mac is scrolling and resizing windows.

I had some bad third party RAM at one time and i was getting a lot of kernel panics, but i got some good ram now and i haven't had a panic since.

Never

I already do all the time.

more smooth window scrolling and resizing.

7. How you find the support given on this forum? If bad, or good then say why it's good or bad.
I wish this site was a little more popular, so things would be answered faster, but i think it's great other than that, the mods are always on top of things, especially that evil Schweb!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
anarkhy said:
I wish this site was a little more popular, so things would be answered faster, but i think it's great other than that, the mods are always on top of things, especially that evil Schweb!

Um, I think that's a compliment....not sure :p

M

Matt

Yeah, hype it, I love my Mac ;) Although the phone jack is a little faulty, but that doesn't get in the way :)

Reaction score
Great fun, loads of little apps hidden away to play with. Just found sherlock today...who needs London Congestion Cameras??? Fun anyway A bit disappointed with the time it takes to open some apps, fine once they get going but a little delayed in opening

Basically it wa squite simple, some of the more in depth maintenance and admin stuff tskes a bit of working out but loads of info about to find your way around

I'm dissappointed to say i've had my ibook a few weeks and it's already locked up a few times. I blame this on my lack of RAM and Limewire's suspect temperament.

Not now i've got M$ Office for Mac

If they had the balls to escape from the Gates evil empire then i'd hold their hand throughout the whole process

Better CD burning capabilities(see my other posts for my probs), otherwise i'm fully satisfied sherlock and Expose will keep me amused for months.

Top class, i don't know how or why you guys know so much but i'm VERY grateful

Well those are my thoughts, enjoy.

I

Icarus

hype.it said:
When answering, try to be honest and truthful to your word. And for heavens sake, try to focus on the topics. This forum seems to have a nasty habit of changing subjects.

1. I find my mac by my desk :)
No, I thought that the switch was pretty easy once I realized the keyboard shortcuts were the same.
2. My mac is reliable - good stuff.
3. I'm not sure if I would go back or not - that's a real good question.
4. Wouldn't go back 'full time' but perhaps I'd go back half of the time and be DUAL PLATFORM!
5. Fo Sho.
6. Trilian.
7. It's pretty good - haven't had to use it yet.

P

prophet

hype.it said:

1. I adore it.
2. Sort of. I had a little trouble finding stuff at first, then it became second nature.
3. It's uber-reliable compared to my parents' emachine desktop. I've had individual programs freeze. But since June, the whole computer has only frozen once or twice... which compared to a machine running on XP, is phenomenal.
4. Actually yes, I require PCs for various things, so I'm starting to build a new desktop for my personal use, but I'll be using my iBook as my primary computer.
5. I would if all of my friends weren't rediculously hardcore PC people who are also ITs and can put me into a corner with tech talk... and I'm a very knowlageable person when it comes to computers.
6. Better .rar file support, as well as a few other PC based file types...

...and more games.
7. I like this forum. It's supportive, and full of usefull information even if I don't have a problem that needs solving or a question that needs answering. I just wish it were more mainstream so answers would come a little faster. But overall, I give it a 9.1 out of 10.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.

I love Ian Iachimoe [my Power Mac G4] and I kiss him every night before I go to bed. :D

2. Was changing OS's from what you know in Windows to MacOS hard? Was it confusing in anyway?

It took me a few days to get used to it. I still discover new things, which is really neat.

For the most part, yes, it is reliable. It has spazzed on me a few times, and the mouse sometimes acts weird. But after I repair permissions, everything's hunky dory. :)

::Shudders:: Sadly, my family still hasn't seen the light yet, so when I am at home I have to use Windows. It makes me very sad. :(

5. Would you recommend others to the Macintosh Platform?

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. :)

I'd really love a universal word processor that isn't MicroNasty Word. I'd also like a bigger student discount when I buy something off of the Apple website. Oh, and I wish there were a way to make the closing/minimizing/maximizing buttons other colors besides gray, red, yellow, and green.

7. How you find the support given on this forum? In either case [positive or negative], say why it's good or bad.

For the most part, I think the support on this forum is fab and all the other pimply hyperboles [hee hee, Beatles reference :) ]. Why is it fab and all the other pimply hyperboles? Because the people on this site know their stuff and can explain anything Mac related to anyone willing to listen.

M

m1k

1. My new 12" PB 1.33GHz with 512MB RAM is a dream. I love it. I use it every day. Mac really does change your life. No more crashing! The only problem is that my hinges are a bit stiff, but I'm getting that fixed with AlGlide (a RadTech product) in a few days.
2. It was easy. I had no files at all to transfer, so that part was easy. But the OS wasn't that hard to learn, it was a lot like XP, but, well, better.
3. I've owned my PowerBook since June of this year. I think Safari has crashed once because I was messing around with Xupport settings and closing system apps used by the system in the System Monitor. I fixed them up and it never crashed again. Using my Mac for at least 2 hours each day, I think that's pretty good.
4. No, I would not go back, ever. There's a PC in the house as well and I just can't stand it. XP just seems so primitive compared to X. Apple forever!
5. Get a Mac and you will never regret it.
6. I would like to see an innovative trackpad replacement from Apple for their new PowerBooks/iBooks. Trackpads are alright I guess, but it would be brilliant if Apple engineers could design another pointing system that works better. I would also like to see the **** hinge problem fixed in the PowerBook. It's sort of annoying, and I've heard it's a common problem.
7. I've been here for like 3 minutes, sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.