how OFTEN should i clean my macbook?

Reaction score
I am getting a macbook for christmas and can't wait!

I have read the numerous threads on how to keep it clean (lots of good times) but I could not find any thread that said how OFTEN to clean it.

so... how often should i do it? every couple of days? weekly? monthly? just as needed? it's white, in case that's makes a difference.

and also, many threads said to take the battery out when you clean. what is the reason for this? are you supposed to clean where the battery normally goes? or just to keep it from getting wet/damp?

thanks!

Reaction score
I really should clean mine more than I do. It depends on how often you use it, and how dirty you are. I have a titanium MBP, and it gets black smudges on the top, and on either side of the track pad. My screen also gets pretty dusty. I never take my battery out when I clean it. I also just use a damp paper towel. I recently read a thread about using a Mr. Clean magic eraser. So I'm going to check that out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I am getting a macbook for christmas and can't wait!

I have read the numerous threads on how to keep it clean (lots of good times) but I could not find any thread that said how OFTEN to clean it.

so... how often should i do it? every couple of days? weekly? monthly? just as needed? it's white, in case that's makes a difference.

Whenever it gets dirty. I mean there's no set number or anything. If it gets dirty then clean it.

Reaction score
I give my screen a clean with a Microfibre cloth every week or so, just to keep it nice and shiny. Microfibe cloths hold dust and dirt deep in the surface so there is no chance of scratching the screen.

Don't often clean the rest of it though, to be honest. Just a wipe off every now and again. But then, it's only really used in doors or at my desk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
Im still yet to clean my black macbook. i have had it a good 4 months

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
I clean mine weekly, along with my g3 imac. I use clorox wipes for the case and a microfiber cloth for the screen. I clean so much because I get sweaty fingers when I type, so there are plenty of fingerprints come weekend. I'd say that they have you take the battery out to keep from getting an electrical shock. If you're not using excess amounts of cleaning solution, you really shouldn't have any problem.

Trent out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.