FRUSTRATED! Glossy screen causing additional eye strain vs Matte Screen

Reaction score
does anyone who owns or has used a glossy screen mac find that it causes alot of stress on the eye?

my biggest gripe with it is that the glare is unbearable especially in outdoor cafe settings or near windows with natural lighting rendering it virtually impossible to use anywhere but indoors/home.

even when using indoors i find that it causes more eye strain than what i had with a matte screen compaq laptop....

i really regret getting the glossy screen! anyone else have any tips/advice suggestions or share similar grievances?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
does anyone who owns or has used a glossy screen mac find that it causes alot of stress on the eye?

my biggest gripe with it is that the glare is unbearable especially in outdoor cafe settings or near windows with natural lighting rendering it virtually impossible to use anywhere but indoors/home.

even when using indoors i find that it causes more eye strain than what i had with a matte screen compaq laptop....

i really regret getting the glossy screen! anyone else have any tips/advice suggestions or share similar grievances?

Yes, I had a glossy screen on my Dell Inspiron 700m. I didn't like it when I first got it, but I got used to it and then learned to love it. You have to tilt your screen when you're outdoors and experiment with different angles to eliminate the glare. When I bought my MacBook Pro, I didn't have a choice (it was refurb) and I got the matte - now I miss it.

If you feel really strongly about it, I think I remember seeing ads in MacWorld that offered screen swap-outs for a few hundred dollars. Let me know and I'll look it up for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.