MacGirl needs help! - Error msg @ boot, must restart but computer comp' won't restart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Black MacBook 160GB HD 2GB RAM
:'( Please, please help! I have had my black MacBook for about 7 months and I love it. However, it just got stuck.

I shut down the computer as usual. When I restarted everything looks and sounds normal but at the gray screen with the apple logo and spinning progress wheel everything gets stuck. At that point a message pops on the screen with a power logo in the background saying that I need to restart my computer by pushing the power button for 3 seconds. When I do this the computer simply shuts off it does not restart. If I try to boot up the computer the same thing happens again. I don't know what to do. I cannot locate any disks that may have come with my computer.

Earlier today I thought I heard some soft beeps coming from the right side of the computer. The system was also running a little slower than usual. In the past few days I have uploaded a bunch of cds to iTunes and created an iPhoto book (although the files wouldn't upload to Apple). I also finally emptied my trash bin but I am fairly certain there was nothing there that could not be safely deleted. Maybe some of this is related?

I will be so very grateful if someone could help me. Thank you!

M

MacHeadCase

First, you'll have to find that restore disk because right now you might very well need it: some troubleshooting isn't generated by key combos and you need to start up from the restore disk that is an emergency volume, among other things.

Did you try booting in Safe Boot mode by holding the Shift key?

You could also reset the PRAM and see where that takes you: hold down the Command + Option + P + R keys and hold them till you hear five startup sounds, then let go.

OP
MacGirl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, you'll have to find that restore disk because right now you might very well need it: some troubleshooting isn't generated by key combos and you need to start up from the restore disk that is an emergency volume, among other things.

Did you try booting in Safe Boot mode by holding the Shift key?

You could also reset the PRAM and see where that takes you: hold down the Command + Option + P + R keys and hold them till you hear five startup sounds, then let go.

I have already tried both key combo ideas you provided here. I will now continue to hunt for my restore disk. Is that something that comes with a new MacBook? Are there any other things I could try?

Also, I have another question. Do you know if my MacBook is still under warranty? How long is the standard warranty? I didn't buy any extended warranties or protection plans. I bought the MacBook it in June 2007.

OP
MacGirl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, you'll have to find that restore disk because right now you might very well need it

Also, did the restore disk come in the box or did I have to create one?

OP
MacGirl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Came in the box

My brother has a restore disk. I cannot find mine so can I use his? He purchased it around the same time as me, but has a speedier processor if that makes a difference. We're both running Tiger.

OP
MacGirl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE: I found my startup disk. It's inserted. I am now in the disk utility. What do I run first aid on?

List:
149gb Hitachi...
Macintosh hd

These are my 2 options. Which do I select? Then, do I click verified disk or repair disk?

OP
MacGirl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I ran First Aid Repair on the Macintosh HD. I got an error message that the underlying task reported failure on exit. In the main screen I can see red writing logging the activity:
Invalid B-tree node size
Volume check failed
Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit
1 HFS vloume checked
1 volume could not be checked because of an error

HELP! Any idea what I should do next?

Reaction score
If you can't repair the drive with Apple's built-in tools, it's time for something more heavy-duty: TechTool Pro, Disk Warrior or Drive Genius. Each will cost you about $100, but these utilities can be life-savers. So far as I know, only TechTool Pro has currently been updated for Leopard, but this won't be an issue for you, since you are still using Tiger.

M

MacHeadCase

About the restore disks...

My brother has a restore disk. I cannot find mine so can I use his? He purchased it around the same time as me, but has a speedier processor if that makes a difference. We're both running Tiger.

UPDATE: I found my startup disk. It's inserted. I am now in the disk utility. What do I run first aid on?

*Snip*

Good thing you did find your restore disk because those are hardware specific. Your brother's might not have worked at all. Keep them safe and know where they are at all times: you never know when they can come in handy.

OP
MacGirl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can't repair the drive with Apple's built-in tools, it's time for something more heavy-duty: TechTool Pro, Disk Warrior or Drive Genius. Each will cost you about $100, but these utilities can be life-savers. So far as I know, only TechTool Pro has currently been updated for Leopard, but this won't be an issue for you, since you are still using Tiger.

Thanks! This is a great tip. I am going to go get one today.

Questions:
Do you have experience or do you recommend one of these over the others?
Should I buy one and use it before visiting the Genius Bar for help?

M

MacHeadCase

Definitely DiskWarrior. It has been my lifesaver on a few occasions when other things didn't work. I've had it for years, it's a very fine product.

It repairs the directory and does stuff Disk Utility cannot do.

OP
MacGirl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been reading around the forum a bit. Do you think the fact that I use Windows XP via Paralells had something to do with my computer problem?

Reaction score
Impossible to say 100%, of course, but it is highly unlikely that Parallels/XP has anything to do with your problem. When you first start up your Mac, it starts up in OS X, so it shouldn't matter whether you have Parallels installed or not. Even if your Parallels partition were completely corrupted, Tiger should still start up OK.

OP
MacGirl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the help everyone. It turns out my harddrive was shot. My local Apple store replaced it in less than 24 hours but none of my information was savable. Oh well. Backup, backup, backup, right? Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.