YAY! I Got A New iBook...erm...some help please..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo, 120Gb HD, 2Gb Ram, OS 10.4.11/PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz, 1.5Gb RAM, 500Gb HD
I just got a new (for me, anyhow) G3 800Mhz Dual USB iBook, and I want to transfer the data from my current G3 600Mhz Dual USB iBook over.

My issue is this. I'm going to be giving away this iBook to a friend, and I simply want to "clone" the contents on this drive to the 30Gb drive on the 800. Is is possible to clean format the 800's hard drive and just copy all the files over and have the new iBook boot up with all the data I've had all along? Or, would I have to just simple clean install Panther on the new iBook (I legally own a copy) and then just import my data files. I don't want to spend a ton of time doing this and testing as I need to get the 600 iBook to my friend as soon as possible.

Does anyone have any experience at doing this?

~Dak

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Get a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner, that should resolve the problem you have. I have not use it, but I have read that other people have and it works just fine.

OP
DakRoland
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo, 120Gb HD, 2Gb Ram, OS 10.4.11/PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz, 1.5Gb RAM, 500Gb HD
Thanks! My new iBook arrives in a few days, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.