i hate leopard!pls take a look...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Unibody MBP, 2.8ghz, 500gig, 4gig
hey guys..
since i installed leopard on my mbp it has been acting weird.first of all leopard is definitely not as fast as tiger..ok it really looks better and has some really new good features on it but while i was on tiger i had no problem with my computer,it did not lock up even for once,it was faster etc etc...but now with leopard i had three kernel panics in a month!it freaks me out and they all happened for no reason...the last one just happened and took 2 minutes to restart so i stopped ignoring them and decided to ask you guys for help.What should i do?should i go back to good old tiger or should i sent my computer to a apple service?or is it sth wrong with my machine?
sorry it took so long but i am really worried and i dont want anything to happen my beloved mbp.
..thanx..

OP
shadyboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and right after i posted the thread safari quit unexpectedly!!!i am freaking out.pls help me out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Did you do a "clean" install when you upgraded from Tiger to Leopard? If not, you should consider backing up your important files to an external drive, then wipe the internal drive and reinstall Leopard fresh.

OP
shadyboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you do a "clean" install when you upgraded from Tiger to Leopard? If not, you should consider backing up your important files to an external drive, then wipe the internal drive and reinstall Leopard fresh.
yes i did so.i did a clean install,wipe cleaned the hd then installed leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac PowerPc G4 1.25 GHZ Processor, 1Gb Ram
i hear ya man. Leopard is terrible compared to tiger. Im sure this will be fixed with updates over time...but until then, I'm def. going back to tiger. all my ap's actually worked, i NEVER had a lock-up, a kernal panic, or anything wrong at all actually...it was amazing, and so far leopard is anything but.

M

MacHeadCase

Unplug all unnecessary peripherals, go to Apple/Support/Downloads and download the 10.5.1 update.

Restart, holding down the Shift key, log in to your user account and launch the 10.5.1 installer. Do not use the Mac while the install is doing its thing. Once the install is done, restart normally. See if that doesn't fix things.

If not, create a new user account and see how things work in there. If all is good and stable, it means an app or program in your usual account is creating a conflict.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. :)

OP
shadyboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanx people.thanx for everything.i dont have anymore of same problems..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Wow! that was an awesome tip MHC! Too bad I can't give you any more rep ;)

Btw, Leopard has not given me any trouble so far. Only one thing is suddenly the Finder starts to take up like 50% to 120% CPU which makes the Mac kind of whiney. Any solutions to this? I created a new user account and the problem wasn't in that...

M

MacHeadCase

Glad you got your problem solved, shadyboi.

And thanks goobi, happy that you find it useful.

For your sudden mysterious CPU activity, you'd have to keep an eye on the process that's eating up CPU cycles like that via the Activity Monitor.app.

It could also be just a coincidence that Spotlight is indexing your HD or Time Machine, if you have it on, is making a backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah well. I looked into the Activity Monitor, and it is Finder that is eating up those resources. Nothing's running. If I Relaunch it via Force Quit menu, it still goes about with it's high CPU usage. Only a restart resolves the issue.

M

MacHeadCase

Weird. Well it could a setting that is On in your usual account but isn't in the new account. Or it could be your user cache that's a bit stuffed, I dunno.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
goobi, had same exact thing you're describing about a month ago. It's never reoccurred so not sure what caused it. Am thinking I put MainMenu back on the machine right after that. Cleaning the cache would be worth a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't deserve to be on this forum. Mods, please kick me out.

I forgot about Disk Utility and repair permissions! How could I! This is preposterous.

After running repair disk permissions, it went through a whole lot fixing, and now Finder is more stable than my the Small Cat's sleeping habits...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't deserve to be on this forum. Mods, please kick me out.

I forgot about Disk Utility and repair permissions! How could I! This is preposterous.

After running repair disk permissions, it went through a whole lot fixing, and now Finder is more stable than my the Small Cat's sleeping habits...

We ALL forget from time to time so don't feel too bad. When I need my machine and something is not right, I even tend to forget due to stressing out!

M

MacHeadCase

Don't tell me disk permissions problems are back with Leopard? What a setback! Tiger was very good for this type of problem after the troubles encountered with Panther.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I seriously don't understand how you can avoid Leopard for so long. The thing is so awesome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.