• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I just got hired to work for my college newspaper!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
So at the beginning of this semester I applied to work for my college newspaper the "Northern Star." Why, you say? Because a professor I had at my old community college said, "You're an economics major? That seems like a waste of a creative mind. I'm not saying to stop doing it, but try to get some jobs writing, you have a lot of potential." So, since I love economics more than writing, but I still wanted to write, I figured I'd try to have my cake and eat it too. And it worked. I am now going to be writing opinion pieces for the school paper starting in January. I'm going to make libertarianism visible to the world... well, just the campus. I'm so pumped. I just wanted to share my good news with you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Congratulations TC99!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Make sure you make life easier on your editor by proofreading your work. There is nothing more an editor hates than a sloppy writer.

Oh, and congrats ;P

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Make sure you make pife easier on your editor by proofreading your work. There is nothing more an editor hates than a sloppy writer.

Oh, and congrats ;P

Oh, I know. I get a 12 to 15" column, so I don't think I can write enough to really be sloppy. The only thing I'm worried about is writing columns about stuff I don't really care about. I just don't want to have to write an opinion piece on whether I think putting in a new parking lot was a good idea.

Reaction score
Newspapers are a lot of fun. I'm a photographer. So I've worked at a couple. Started out as an intern, and now I'm just doing freelance while I'm in school. I also do some work for my college publications. Journalism is a great field.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
Make sure you make pife easier on your editor by proofreading your work. There is nothing more an editor hates than a sloppy writer.

Oh, and congrats ;P

Pife?

Sorry, I just had to point out the irony in your post. Too good to pass up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
congrats on getting that job :) I hope you enjoy it.

My question is, since you love economics and writing, why don't you do some kind of market / economy column instead of an opinion piece? So you could actually have your cake and eat it too. :)

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
congrats on getting that job :) I hope you enjoy it.

My question is, since you love economics and writing, why don't you do some kind of market / economy column instead of an opinion piece? So you could actually have your cake and eat it too. :)

The paper doesn't have a finance section. I wish it did, but its just too small of a paper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
oh, well good luck writing :) glad you are doing something you like doing!

is writing in the finance section of a paper something you want to do after school or do you want to work for the government, or possibly something else?

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh, well good luck writing :) glad you are doing something you like doing!

is writing in the finance section of a paper something you want to do after school or do you want to work for the government, or possibly something else?

I would love to write financial news. If I was ever given the opportunity I'd take it, but I'm also hoping to get a job in banking somewhere. I'm hoping I could be some type of analyst for a Federal Reserve bank. Well, that's my dream at least. I took a monetary policy course this semester and it really boosted my interest in the banking system. The things that bore most people like interest rates, deposits, etc. became pretty interesting once I took that class and got to study at the ins-and-outs of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Pife?

Sorry, I just had to point out the irony in your post. Too good to pass up

LOL, that's what I get for typing on my iPhone while in bed ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Congrats man! I'm currently trying to get a job with the local paper in my town doing articles/photos for it.

I'm hopefully going to be going back to school this September for photojournalism, so hopefully I can get on there and do some work.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update:

Sorry I haven't been on lately, it's my first week back to class. My first article is to be published Monday. It's my opinion on people forcing their religion on other people (I'm not very fond of it.) I'm looking forward to getting at least 30% of the readers mad at me. I'll post a link in a few days if the paper throws my article up on their site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Congrats, I've been the editor for my HS newspaper for 3 1/2 years, finally quitting so I can sleep :)

It's a lot of fun, and you can use your pass to get into all of the school events (sports, competitions, etc.) for free :D

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, here's my first article. I'm kind of mad that the editor took out my best lines and dumbed down my language. He also had me interview a student who didn't believe in evolution, which I didn't like because it seems like I'm singling him out. The editor also took every sentence that I refer to God as "He" and changed it to "he." Christians don't like it when God is referred to as "he," they want a capital 'H,' and, since my goal was to convince Christians, I thought it was necessary. He changed my title too.

Here's the newspaper version of my article:
My Edited Version

And here's my original version, which I just posted on my blog:
My Original Version

Tell me which version you like better, and which one makes a better case.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't see much difference in each, since your original thought is still in both as I see it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.