I switched: some questions

Reaction score
Hi guys :)
Finally I got my MB 13,3" 2.2Ghz 4Gb Ram, 250GB Hdd :)
And it freaking rocks! But there are some things that bug me a little.
I almost think that I am stupid lol. I've been using linux and windows so far and am NOT a dummy in regards of computers, but I just can't find a way to MOVE my files.
I've got a large collection of data all sitting in one directory, now I want to move the files and directories in certain folders to clear em up. BUT I can not find a way to MOVE them. I can only COPY the files. But that is not in my interest, I do not want to have to wait 15 minutes in order to just MOVE my files around!

Pressing ctrl and mousebutton and then draging the files does not change anything. It always copies the files :(

Please help me!

Best regards
Flo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Open the folder you want to put them in then select your files.........

Drag and drop...... nothing simpliar

OP
F
Reaction score
One would think so!
But that is not the case :(
If I drag and drop the files selected they will only be COPIED and not MOVED! :(
What can I do?

Reaction score
Welcome to the right side! When you say that you have folders in a Directory, do you mean on a separate volume or a partition? If so, then dragging and dropping will copy the files, that would be true in Linux or Windows. But if that directory is on the same volume, they should just move to the new location.

Or, you could have a permissions problem. If you don't have full Read/Write access then dragging and dropping will copy even on the same volume. Click the folder, go to Get Info, Sharing & Permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
When moving files between drives, the default "drag" action is to copy the files. It only defaults to moving them when it's to a folder on the same volume.

To force a "move" when dragging files from one volume to another, hold down the CMD key.

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi Sherman
Thanks for your help!
The files are on the same volume. And I figured that maybe it is a permission problem, cause I copied the files into the "public/Drop Box" Folder!
Maybe that folder doesn't have the right permissions? Cause I tried moving files around on other locations, and that worked flawlessly.

Which permissions do I need to set so that it will work?

Thank you very much :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Try holding the Command key. You mentioned that you were holding the Ctrl key which has limited use on the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
yea, one of the main things to learn about a mac. that with almost every shortcut. cmd replaces ctrl.

Reaction score
Flavian, I think you got figured out! The permissions settings for the Public Drop Box were probably Write Only when you put the files in. So now the Mac is respecting that. Or there is a more general permissions problem. This is a source of great confusion and controversy. :Grimmace:
You can suffer through the coping process, then delete the originals.
You can run Disk Utility, Repair Disk Permissions, see if that helps.
You can run Terminal, sudo, chown, which is probably your best bet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
I don't really understand the problem....when I move files and folders from desktop to Hard Drive, documents to Applications etc they are not copied - they are moved point blank.

Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I don't really understand the problem....when I move files and folders from desktop to Hard Drive, documents to Applications etc they are not copied - they are moved point blank.

Alex

It appears that the OP was trying to move files from a folder for which he did not have permissions that allowed deleting files. Thus only "copy" was available. You can only move files when you have permission to delete files from the source folder.

OP
F
Reaction score
First of all I'd like to thank everyone who posted in here... you gave me some good hints. Right now I am trying to repair the permissions with disc utility. Let's see if that works :)
I figured that some folders have the right permissions and if I add "Administrators" to the users for a folder I will be able to do everything, BUT have to type in the admin password ALL THE TIME :D lol which is annoying ^^

So, I got the files where I want them to be, let's hope I get the permissions right.
Another thing is that I can't rename some folders, which is very weird :D

I will report back as soon as possible...
Thanks to you guys.
And thanks to Linux, that tought me a little bit about Unix file permissions ^^

OP
F
Reaction score
Help please!
I tried everything, chmod and chown does not change anything, which is VERY WEIRD! I still can't rename the folders :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Try creating a new user account with admin privileges.

Reaction score
I would try this:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106824
The process is to enable root, log in as root, run chown with the name of your Home directory, then log back in as yourself. On the face of it, the article describes how to change your Short Name but you can ignore that. The process fixes permissions for the name of your Home directory. I pretty much guarantee that this will fix the problem or your money back(!)

OP
F
Reaction score
Okay, here's what I found out!
Loging in as root and changing the permissions does not work either. Here comes what's even weirder:

I can rename FILES but I can not rename FOLDERS!
If I look into the file permissions tab there is something interesting

For FILES it lists one more user than for FOLDERS.

FILES:
Name Rights

Everyone: Custom
Admin: Read & Write
Florian (me): Read & Write
staff: read only
Everyone: read only

FOLDERS:
Name Rights

Admin: Read & Write
Florian (me): Read & Write
staff: read only
everyone: read only

Did you notice that for FILES the user "everyone" exists two times and once has "custom rights"?!
I don't know what that means but I am sure that because of THAT I am able to edit the the names of files, but not of folders!

Any help?!

Thanks
Flo

OP
F
Reaction score
No one? Come on... :( There must be a simple solution! I am just too dumb to figure it out on my own :(

OP
F
Reaction score
Okay :) solved :D
A friend of mine helped me out. Thanks to him *smile*
sudo chown -R Florian:admin /Users/Florian/
did the trick

Thanks though for the many hints I got here that finally brought me to where I am now.
Thanks to the community.

OP
F
Reaction score
Okay *lol* it's me again. Sorry for posting all the time, but the permission issue frustrates me!

My situation:
I changed the write permissions and the group permission to "admin"
Now I can do everything with my files, BUT when I want to delete a folder OSX always prompts me for a password, which is certainly not the case with files.
Here are the permissions for my folders in the home directory:

drwxrwxr-x+ 7 Florian admin 238 7 Dez 08:41 Betriebssysteme
drwxrwxr-x+ 5 Florian admin 170 9 Dez 12:09 Desktop
drwxrwxr-x+ 15 Florian admin 510 9 Dez 04:24 Documents
drwxrwxr-x+ 19 Florian admin 646 9 Dez 13:48 Downloads
drwxrwxr-x 6 Florian admin 204 8 Dez 22:11 Installers
drwxrwxr-x+ 38 Florian admin 1292 9 Dez 14:07 Library
drwxrwxr-x+ 11 Florian admin 374 9 Dez 02:42 Movies
drwxrwxr-x+ 32 Florian admin 1088 9 Dez 02:09 Music
drwxrwxr-x+ 27 Florian admin 918 9 Dez 02:45 Pictures
drwxrwxr-x+ 54 Florian admin 1836 8 Dez 22:32 Predigten
drwxrwxr-x+ 6 Florian admin 204 6 Dez 00:25 Public
drwxrwxr-x+ 5 Florian admin 170 5 Dez 17:45 Sites

Here are some permissions for files:
-rwxrwxr-x@ 1 Florian admin 287 6 Dez 20:27 Feisar.rtf
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 Florian admin 157743 1 Nov 20:28 Gesäuertes Brot - Pfingsten.pdf

I don't know what the @ means though...

Another thing is that every folder I download, I can not rename as well. It says that I don't have the permissions for it :(

My question is:
What can I do so that I will be able to use my files without always having to type my password in.
I don't really know what to do anymore. Please help me :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.