• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HELP! Question regarding recording audio into iMovie through an interface...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro/2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/MAC OS X 10.4.11
HELP! Question regarding recording audio into iMovie through a USB interface...?

I have a MacBook Pro with the 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor running OS X 10.4.11. I've got iMovie version 6.0.4.

I'm trying to film myself playing guitar in iMovie while recording the audio through a microphone into a usb interface. I have a nice microphone and really don't wanna have to use the onboard mic, as it sounds infinitely better.

There's two different issues I'm trying to work out.

1. When I have the audio I'm recording going in from the usb interface, the audio sounds great but only plays back through the left speaker. Any way around this?

2. Is there a way that I can play along to an audio file that I've already imported into the project?

What I'm trying to accomplish is a really clear sounding video of me playing along to a song. I want to be able to import the song first, and then record through my usb interface while playing along to it. And during playback, I want my recording to play through both speakers, and not only the left:Angry:

The reason for this set up is that I want to avoid the typical guitar cover vid scenario of someone turning their home stereo speakers and guitar amp towards the webcam and recording the audio that way.

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.