Dual Layer burning problems...

Reaction score
I have a 15.4 in. MBP, and for some reason I can't burn a DL DVD anymore. I'm trying to burn an .iso file in Disk Utility, and it says "The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media."

Does anyone have any ideas why this is giving me this error? I've burned many DL's in the past. I would try it in Toast, but I don't know how to burn .iso's in there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you don't have the drawer showing when you start toast. Then click on the little triangle next to word Mac Only. Assuming you have not changed it yet. The drawer should pop out. Select the format tab and then choose ISO 9550 if you have the data tab selected.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yeah I figured that out last night. But it still gave me an error. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MBP
What kind of media are you using? If your using junk media...that may be causing your problems

OP
H
Reaction score
What kind of media are you using? If your using junk media...that may be causing your problems

I bought a spindle of Verbatim DL DVD's, and that's when I first got the message. So I took those back, and bought a spindle of Memorex, and it's still giving me the error message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 3gb Ram C2D Black Macbook
Well that is pretty decent media, do you get the message when burning single layer DVD's or CDr's?

OP
H
Reaction score
I haven't tried a CD for quite a while. But I just burned a single layer DVD yesterday and it worked fine. Only other thing I can think of, is, I ran Onyx a week or two ago. And when it checks out your HDD it said it needed to be repaired. I haven't done that yet, but I'm still not sure that would affect my SuperDrive.

Reaction score
This has been happening for a while now. Did we find a solution to this? I as well can read/burn cds and dvds but never had been able to burn dl and I know for sure my computer supports it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.