Auto Syncing Of Folders to External Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
Hi,

I am looking for some software (ideally free) which will allow a selection of folders on my MacBook Pro's internal hard drive to synchronise with an external hard drive/USB flash drive as soon as it is plugged in.

I have had a search and have found some apps, but they seem to clone the drive or require the destination to be erased (which I don't want).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Just an idea, but I use Chronosync often, mainly to create multiple copies of images as I shoot them with my camera tethered to the MBP. Although Chronosync ain't free, its worth the money I feel.

So onto my idea, you could use DoSomethingWhen to initiate an apple script when you connect the external drive, the apple script would be used to run a synchronization within Chronosync, that can be set to synchronize certain folders within a volume, or entire volumes. A bit of further research would be required, but it should work, and be very handy too.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.