Upgrading a power mac G4, WITHOUT upgrading RAM or processor!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, basically what i want to know is how i can take the strain off my dual 866mhz powermac with 1gb of ram without upgrading either cpu or memory. I know that that would make a big difference, and that the towers are very expandable, but i plan to do that at a later date.

I run Logic express 7, Ableton live 6, Reason 4 and Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended. I also plan to run two of the apple cinema 20" displays but appreciate that this will add intense strain on the graphics card, and ultimately the processor; however, i don't know what type of card it is (probably agp)...

So please, all help would be appreciated, Ijjy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds similar to that ancient King Canute emptying the ocean with a spoon.

Seriously, leave the CPU as is, MDD CPU upgrades are a ridiculous price, saw one last week in Oz to 1.25 for AU$499.00 second hand! Leopard will install on the 867 as it meets the specs.

You certainly should max the RAM out to 2GB, install a 7200 RPM 8MB cache HDD if not one installed already, and updating the graphics card to say an ATI Radeon 9800 MAC PRO, and maybe a PCI card to run the second display.

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok, thanks a lot.

Are there only certain graphics cards that work with macs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You have a choice of nVidia or ATI Radeon Graphic cards. From memory, I think the 20"Cinema Display is ADC (Apple Direct Connect) which carries power, picture and USB all in one cable,. Isd that is so the ATI Radeon 9000 MAC PRO is about the fastest but will not show all Leopard's eye candy features.

If it ias DVI/VGA connection, there is a much wider choice of cards. Do a Google search and see what comes up.

OP
I
Reaction score
yeah, i know but isn't there a converter available, i just really like the look of those apple monitors!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.