USB bus speed

Reaction score
Our household has two original Mac minis. When checking "specs" under About this Mac on one, the USB bus speed is identified as "high-speed" (for peripherals plugged in to either port) and the other is identified as USB bus. (There is a listing for "high-speed" on the suspect machine but the mouse and keyboard are not listed under it.)

The one with "high-speed" allows USB 2.0 periphs to operate but the other does not.

For the suspect machine, I first reset the PRAM with no change. I then reinstalled OS X Tiger and there is still no change.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
All Mac Minis have USB 2.0 ports.

I believe that the System Profiler will only report "high-speed" when an actual USB 2.0 high-speed device is plugged into it. So when a keyboard (a USB 1.1 device) is plugged in, the port will run at USB 1.1 speeds and the port will show up as "USB Bus."

OP
B
Reaction score
USB 2.0 device tried

Thank you for such a quick reply.

In fact I did try a 2.0 device (a Mac USB TV stick) and the suspect machine would not even power it/register it under About this Mac. This device does work on the other machine.

The keyboard/mouse on the "high-speed" bus machine does show up under "high-speed bus" as opposed to "USB bus." Whereas the suspect machine's keyboard shows up under "USB bus."

As a test, I will put the keyboard/mouse from the "high-speed" machine on the suspect machine and see how it shows up.

Thanks again.

Other suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.