G4 won't eject CD

H

hlucas69

My G4 tower won't eject a CD.

My girlfriend handed me an audio CD-R that I was going to copy some AIF files onto. Without either of us realizing it, the CD-R was not blank.

I recorded on it using Toast, but the result was I now have two CD icons on my desktop. One simply says "Audio CD". The other says "X-MAS IS PAST" (the name of the target CD).

When I eject either of these, the G4 gets hung up. The icon just keeps spinning.

When I force quit the finder, it relaunches and CD icons aren't there, but the CD is in the driver and it won't eject.

If I try to shut down the computer, everything on the desktop disappears and I am left with only the cursor, but the G4 refuses to shut down.

If I reboot, the G4 does so, but the same two CD icons appear on the desktop.

If I play the "Audio CD" in iTunes, it plays fine.

If I press the eject button on the CD driver (a Pioneer superdrive, by the way), nothing happens.

Aaaahhhhh!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Oh yeah, if I simply unplug the computer, after I reboot the two CD icons appear on the desktop again.

Reg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Click Finder. Look for *mounted drives* and click the EJECT symbol

OP
H

hlucas69

witeshark said:
Click Finder. Look for *mounted drives* and click the EJECT symbol

This results in the icon disappearing from the desktop, but the CD stays in the drive.

I guess I need to know of a mechanical way of getting that CD out of the drive.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Hold down the mouse button when starting up. It *should* eject.

OP
H

hlucas69

Absolute Zero said:
Hold down the mouse button when starting up. It *should* eject.

Absolute Zero. Thank you, that worked. My girlfriend and I are staying together.

OP
P

PMJx2

This happened to me once , but the Cd would come out a tiny bit, then go back in. I had to ccatch the cd and yank it out. I think it had to do something with the drive or something.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
hlucas69 said:
Absolute Zero. Thank you, that worked. My girlfriend and I are staying together.
Awesome! Take care, bud!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.