can't get an upper case c on wireless keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz
A really simple problem but one that I have googled and searched the forums without success looking for an answer. No joy obviously. Anyway, I had the little aluminium wireless keyboard but didn't particularly like it. Just a bit small and finicky for my liking. So, bought the full size "old" wireless keyboard and it seems much better. Problem is I can't get an upper case c without using caps lock. i.e. shift c just gets a tone...no capital c. It's the only letter that I have the problem with and given that the keyboard is brand new it's not a dust or grit problem. Any ideas? Appreciate any help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
it's faulty - take it back and exchange for another

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz
Thanks for the reply. What I failed to mention is that the original keyboard did it as well. Seems very unlikely that 2 keyboards, particularly different models, would have the same unusual problem.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz
My kingdom for a C

Well the kingdom isn't much to speak of but I would sure appreciate some help. I posted about this in Hardware previously but it is definitely a software problem.

I can't type an upper case C. (I did that with caps-lock btw) Anyway....Shift-c produces a big fat nothing. Like I said I thought it was a hardware problem but I have a troubleshooting account set up and when I switch to that bingo...big c's everywhere. I thought it was probably a shortcut setting that I screwed up but I restored defaults and no joy.

Seems such a simple problem but I'm left scratching my ugly head. Any ideas out there?

M

MacHeadCase

Either there's something wrong with your USB port that you are using or there is a peripheral interfering with the correct use of the keyboard: this happened to me, a USB hub caused conflicts with the keyboard but the symptoms were much much worse that just a key misbehaving.

At this point I am leaning more toward a bad USB port. Did you try plugging the keyboard in another USB port?

If you want to investigate the idea of a possible conflict with other USB peripherals, unplug all the other USB peripherals that are connected to your Mac and see if that doesn't fix it.

If nothing solves this, I would take the whole computer in to get it checked.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz
Keyboard is Bluetooth

Again, appreciate the response. The keyboard is wireless so not using any USB. It seems to me that it simply must be a setting because when I switch to my "clean" troubleshooting account there is no problem. Switch back to my everyday user account and the problem reappears.

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah it sounds like you have a conflict in your usual user account. And just the fact that the other account has no trouble means this is not a system-wide problem.

Can you recall when this problem started to occur? Did you change anything in your user account? Install a new software? Created a customized keyboard shortcut?

Oh and btw, welcome to Mac-Forums. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz
Thank's for the welcome! :) I have added a number of applications since buying the machine but created no user defined shortcuts. Just in case I did without realizing (as I am new to Mac) I restored defaults but that didn't help. Perhaps my best bet is to create a new user account and transfer all of my documents to that before deleting the old account. What's the best way to do that?

Reaction score
Just for the heck of it, try this fsck thing. It won't do any harm, and who knows?

Edit: Just thought of something. It might not work because your keyboard is wireless. If it won't, boot the machine from the install DVD and run the fixer-upper on the DVD. It's the same thing.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz
Thanks Brown Study. Tried it but didn't work. I have created a new account and transferred all files to that. Problem is fixed. CCCC (see?) Thanks for the idea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.