Download and Install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I'm switching from a PC to an iMac after many years of running Windows. I'm very impressed with Leopard and just couldn't resist making the change. Can someone give me the step by step process for downloading software and installing it on my new machine? I've searched the Internet and haven't found a good explaination yet. Are .dmg files handled differently than software that is automatically activated? I'm kind of confused so would appreciate the help. Being a user of PhotoShop Elememts I'm quite impressed with Pixelmator and would like to download this program plus several more.

Thanks, Doug in Alaska

Rem

Reaction score
By default, when you download software, it'll place the icon on your desktop. Double click the icon and it'll either unzip or mount.

Most Mac software requires a drag and drop to the applications folder and its installed. More complicated software like Parallels, Photoshop, Fusion, etc.. have installers that you run like Windows programs. Basically *.dmg stands for disk image and they're portable volumes that need to be mounted before they can be accessed. Think of them like USB flash cards, as soon as you plug one into your USB slot, the flash cards mount as a drive and the contents can be accessed in a folder. Same thing with *.dmg files, as soon as you double click them, they'll mount on your desktop or in Finder. Double click the mounted icon on your desktop and in the folder you'll see one of 3 things: 1) Program by itself 2) Program and Applications Folder 3) Installer... If you just see the Program, all you have to do is open the Application folder in Finder and drag the Program to it. If you see both the Program and an arrow pointing to the Applications Icon, the developer made it easier for you and all you have to do is drag the program to the folder and your done. And if its an Installer file, just run it like a Windows installation program.

After the *.dmg file has been mounted and your done copying it to the applications folder, you can right-click the desktop icon and eject it, just as you would unplug a USB flash card and your done with the file.

That's pretty much to it.

OP
Doug in Alaska
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Thanks much for your help. I guess this another example of life made easier with a Mac. The new iMac should arrive any day, I'm looking forward to the switch. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.