firefox passwords

Reaction score
I am migrating from Firefox on my PC to MAc and have downloaded password exporter/importer.
It asks for passwords in csv format and I have them in .txt on a thumbdrive.
I thought I could just copy them over the same file on the Mac but cannot find it. It should be in Library/applications/firefox or Mozilla.

So much to learn after 25 years on PC's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I love Firefox because it is so easy/simple to move between Windows/OS X/Linux.

On the PC look for this:

C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\YOUR NAME\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\

Copy the folder called Profiles AND the file called profiles.ini to your thumb drive.

Now open Firefox on your Mac (this will create a default profile and ini file). Quit Firefox and open finder.

On the left you'll probably have Library choose this. Now open Application Support and Firefox.

Paste the Profiles AND the file called profiles.ini replacing the existing file/folder.

Close Finder and open Firefox - you will have all your passwords, bookmarks, extensions and themes that you had in Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Firefox and Mozilla are amazing like that :D

Just be sure to remove any Windows-only extensions as it can be a bit of a pain to remove them if you forget. Not saying impossible, just a small headache you could have avoided by spending an extra 30 seconds before migrating.

OP
P
Reaction score
Mozilla files

I am new to Mac. Which extensions are windows versus mac?
I have been using Tbird on the mac for a while. Will copying the old profile mess anything up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
There is an extension for Firefox that exports/imports your passwords. That's all you need.

On the PC just export from Firefox to a file. Copy the file to the mac. Then import that file into Firefox.

You can get it here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2848

OP
P
Reaction score
I don't see where/how to export the passwords. Does the addon have to be on both machines?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Yes the addon has to be on both machines. Export from the FF with the passwords. Import to the FF that you want the passwords moved to.

I did this recently because I got a new Mac at work. This plugin works excellently.

You access the new features by opening Preferences, then click Security. You'll see a new button "Import/Export Passwords". Click that and a sheet will display:

attachment.php

Picture 1.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.