• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

copying DVDs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X
I'm still a relative newbie to Mac World. One of the few shortcomings I've found is the (non-)ability to copy DVDs. I did this easily & successfully on my old PC via DVDShriink & Nero...sometimes also incorporating ripit4me with DVD Decrypter. Is there an equivalent process to use on my Mac?

I have had occasional success with Toast though I don't think it will compress, if needed, as DVDShrink will. I haven't had much luck with mactheripper...far more errors than with the PC programs above. I'm told mactheripper3 isn't too reliable but haven't tried it.

Thanks,
Steve

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's not permissable to discuss such things here as it is against US law to break the encryption. But if you will look at the links at the bottom of this page under Similar Threads, you will find some info.

M

MacHeadCase

As was said by bobtomay, please read the forum rules:

4 - Illegal Activity: We choose to follow United States law in regard to what is permissible to be discussed here. Therefore discussion of illegal file sharing, cracked programs, requests for serial numbers, and any other breaches of copyright or other illegal activity are not allowed in these forums.

This also includes discussion of breaking the terms of software or hardware EULAs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.