Help me decide between 20" and 24"

Reaction score
I've decided to take the plunge and buy my first Mac, planning on getting it this month.

Now I'm just deciding between the 20 and 24" models. I know everyone likes something different, but I'm having a hard time deciding. My only concern is that the 24" may be too big, especially sitting so close, won't be able to take in the entire screen. I was in the Apple store playing with both of them, but it's hard to tell when you're in such a large space whether it will be too big in a smaller room.

I'll be using it for pretty basic stuff, work (working with Word and other documents), surfing, some photo use, itunes, stuff like that. I know people say that the more screen real estate, the better. Just wanted to hear from some of you experts out there as to whether the 24" may be overkill and too big, or whether it's one of those things that once you use it, you get used to it and wonder how you worked on anything smaller for so long. (I had the same dilemma when deciding on a plasma tv, between 50" and 60", and went with the 60 and glad I did.)

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Unibody MBP, 2.8ghz, 500gig, 4gig
well i went through sth like that when i was buying my mbp,i went with the 15inch but i slightly regret my decision,because believe me the bigger the better...in the beginning it seems unimportant but since it is a desktop and carrying it around isnt a problem u should really go with the bigger one...it is more fun to watch movies,view photos etc on a big screen ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i personally like the extra space. If i had to chose between the two and cost wasnt a limiting factor i would go for the 24"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
When you are considering a desktop, the bigger the screen size, the better. The resolution is really nice to work with and working your way through multiple windows and chat boxes is really a pleasure. 24" all the way.

On Laptops, portability becomes and issue which makes the 15" the perfect performance/portability laptop...

vi5

Reaction score
I just had to make this decision 2 weeks ago so I can give you a real time, fresh opinion on this.

I had a PC with a 22" screen and was very worried about going down in size to a 20" imac. My budget made the decision for me, but hoo boy let me tell you, you will not feel downgraded at all. I have had my 20" imac for a week now and have no regrets. In fact I can't imagine how big and overwhelming the 24" would be on my desk. The screen on the imac is so crystal clear and vivid that it seems like there's easily 3 times the screen space on my imac 20" than there was on my 22" PC screen.

So depending on what you have now I say don't worry about whether the 20" is too small. In fact on the 20" certain things look smaller so I would guess that effect is more so on a 24"

And I use mine for the same type of applications you listed so it's not like I need mine for more or less than you are going to be using yours for.

Reaction score
The actual size of the monitor shouldn't be the issue; either one would be sufficiently large. The deciding factor for me is the resolution. The 20" can only display 1680x1050, whereas the 24" can display 1920x1200. That give a much larger work area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
@vi5: cfusionpm is right. The 22inch monitor will in most probability will have a 1680*1050 resolution, which is the same as a 20" monitor. So apart from videos and such, the workspace is the same.

Reaction score
I'm currently making the same decision between a 20" and 24". Initially I planned on the 20" as anything bigger just seemed to big.

After playing with the 24" in the Apple store I think I'm going to change my mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
Get the 24". No question. I'm glad I did. You already made the decision once with the TV. You know you will regret it if you get the 20".

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I am leaning to the 24 at this point. My only concern was that it just might be too big to look at and use comfortably, but that's probably not the case. I'm going back to the Apple store to play around with both of them, but I think I'll end up with the 24. Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have more questions to post once I get it home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Either is fine, but I've never ever thought the 20" was too small.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
my uncle has a 24" in a fairly small room. it doesn't look to big for the room, just makes it more "noticeable". it's pretty close when you sit at the desk, and it has never seemed "too big" i would say definitely go for it.

Aby

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4Ghz 2GB ram
I went with the 24" iMac recently, and when I first got it home and started playing with it, I though wow - this is nice, but it feels too big! It took me awhile to get used to looking at things and organizing things on such a big screen, but after a week or so passed, I didn't even notice anymore. I love it so much - I don't think I'd like the 20" now.

Aby

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, M1 MacBooks
The 24" iMac is most impressive. As I write this I still can not believe what a great image this display creates. Very, very nice.

And, you get used to the large amount of real estate very quickly. When I have to use a 19" monitor on our old PC it's pretty insane how small it looks.

I think you'd love the 24" iMac.

nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.
I love my 24", it is my best computer I ever had. Go for the bigger screen, you will love it. The bigger is always better when it comes to screen size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.