DIY upgrading memory Intel??

Reaction score
I just bought a new 24" intel IMAC 2.4ghz/1gb memory. I went to crucial's website and purchased the 4gb upgrade so i can do it myself, but I am thinking I might be screwed...I can't find any DIY guides online anywhere!? Does ayone have experience upgrading memory in the newest imac 24"??

-Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You could also crack open the manual that came with the iMac. It has photos and a description.

OP
S
Reaction score
sorry didn't know if that DIY link worked on the newest imac...it doesn't quite look the same, but upon closer examination, mine looks about the same! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It's really easy. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
it's the same process.... It MIGHT take 5 minutes... very easy. Lay a soft blanket down to put your unplugged iMac face down on... unscrew 2 screws... eject existing RAM... insert new Ram, put cover back on... screw in.. reboot. enjoy! :D

OP
S
Reaction score
huh?? where'd ya read that?? 1gb maybe shared??? who knows...all I know is that even my macbook when it had 1gig memory was CHOPPY....when i upgraded it to 2gig it was a whole new game. I can't wait to see this bad boy scream with 4gig!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Why does it say it will only use 3GB of ram, even if you install 4GB???

I assume you're looking at a older how-to guide. The original Core Duo iMac could be maxed out at 2GB, the Core 2 Duo at 3GB, and the new Al iMacs at 4GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Windows XP doesn't recognise 4 gigs, but OS X does.

Everything about the procedure is in your iMac manual.

OP
S
Reaction score
oh literally the EXACT process as in the DIY guide in the link above...took me 2 minutes...runs SOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
told ya so! :D:D:D

Good job and congrats!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.