Can I upgrade an eMac G4/700MHz processor?

Reaction score
I have an eMac PowerPC G4/700MHz, can I upgrade the unit to 1.00GHz? Where would I start? If I can, where would I find the processor chip to buy? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I have an eMac PowerPC G4/700MHz, can I upgrade the unit to 1.00GHz? Where would I start? If I can, where would I find the processor chip to buy? Thanks.

You could upgrade it. The logic board and processor are one piece like a laptop. You'd have to buy a new logic board. My cousin has an eMac and he said it was a lot of work getting the case open. I don't think it'd be worth the effort. If you are dead set on upgrading, i would atleast go to the 1.25GHz model. That's the first version with USB 2.0.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok, I found a site - $399.00 for a logic board. So what am I facing here? Can I just swap the boards and that's it? Plug and Play? what's there to encounter? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My first thought was yes. But I've never taken an eMac apart. But if Apple did any mods to the inside of the case, you might be out of luck. Google is my best friend. I will see if I can dig up any info to see it's possible.
$400 is a lot though. I picked up my cousin that 1.25GHz eMac with a bunch of upgrades for $250 from a local seller. Check around town or eBay for some deals on a faster model eMac. You should be able to pickup a working system for a lot cheaper than $400.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Ok, I found a site - $399.00 for a logic board. So what am I facing here?
You are facing a lot of money and a real pain in the rear opening up the eMac... not to mention trying to get it back together.
It is far more cost effective to look for a more recent and better equipped machine. As bryphotoguy pointed out, you could buy a better eMac for the same money you would spend on a new logic board... and you wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of installing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day there.

eMacs are selling very cheap - here in Oz 1.25GHz, which would run Leopard are fetching around the AU$300-$400 mark - the same price as a logic board and you may pick up a couple hundred or so for the 700.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Waste of money. There would be a very small difference between the 0.7 and 1Ghz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Waste of money. There would be a very small difference between the 0.7 and 1Ghz.

The 700MHz board only has USB 1.1, the 1.25GHz (if he goes with that) has USB 2.0. The 700MHz can cannot run 10.5, the 1GHz or faster can run Leopard. The jump in speed might not be worth the 300MHz speed boost but there are other benefits.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.