what hardware should i get preinstalled?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core Duo Extreme, Ipod Touch 16GB
ive been waiting ages to change to a mac and now i can due to funds being here! :)

im hoping to get the 24" iMac with 2.8Ghz Extreme DUO Core CPU, my only question is what hardware should i get preinstalled? RAM or more hard drive space?

any help apprieciated, sorry for spelling mistakes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Don't get extra ram preinstalled by apple. Just stick with the standard. And later you can get more ram from a 3rd party seller and install it yourself. It's an easy process and much cheaper than from apple.

And for hard drive space. If you think the standard amount will be enough for you, I say stick with it. But if not then get apple to upgrade it. As upgrading the hard drive yourself on the new imacs is rather a tricky process, not worth doing in my opinion. Just let apple do it when you order it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, Radeon 2600 PRO 256mb, CS3 Master Collection
I got the 24" with 2gigs of ram and 500 gb drive. I think that's the bare minimum for running my software. Mainly, I'll be running the CS3 Master Collection. I expect this machine to run it seamlessly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I wouldn't bother upping the internal HD for a desktop computer. Externals are so cheap these days, plus they are very reliable and fast.

Reaction score
Any "customizing" of your new iMac will delay the shipping a few days. If you're impatient like me, buy it bone stock.

Reaction score
I got the 24" with 2gigs of ram and 500 gb drive. I think that's the bare minimum for running my software. Mainly, I'll be running the CS3 Master Collection. I expect this machine to run it seamlessly.

so you think you need 500gb to run CS3? haha....you'd be better off spending $50 more at cruciual.com and getting 4gigs of memory for $159 shipped (instead of paying apple 850 for the same amount of ram). Ram makes the biggest difference....never enough!

Reaction score
i agree with all the comments, CS3 isn't that intensive a suite unless you are dealing with massive files.

2Gb Ram and a 2.8Ghz CPU will be fine.

Reaction score
Stick w/ the 1gig of ram, you can upgrade it by yourself with ease. But i would suggest going for the 2.8ghz extreme. Also, i wouldn't really care about hdd space, you can always get an external.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.2/120gb/2gb Santa Rosa - 20" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display
apple charges a ridiculous amount of money for extra hardware especially ram, don't buy it from them.. For example apple charges $4500 to upgrade a mac pro to 16gb of ram. When I can go to macsales and buy 16gb of ram (in 2gb sticks) for $659.99!! Thats a whopping 85% less (if my calculations are right), now i know your not buying that much ram but it just goes to show that you can get it elsewhere for a lot less.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.