Programming basic C in Xcode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I'm really interested in learning how to program Cocoa applications.

I'm a web programmer by trade and it has been years since I've used Java and C++ so before I get stuck into Cocoa I'd like to familiarise myself with C first.

Am I right in saying Objective-C is a subset of C and so inherits all its features?

How do I set up a project in Xcode that uses ObjC but not the Coca framework? I just want to learn to do basic C operation in the terminal before diving into creating GUIs.

Reaction score
No, it's a superset of C, adding more features to the language.

The Wikipedia page gives some decent background about it. Seems kinda cool really...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Reaction score
Obj-C syntax is not all like C, though

Yeah. There are some things that are just very odd looking to me (I'm also just starting to learn Cocoa/Obj-C), and I have a pretty decent C background (Mostly UNIX oriented. I have programmed in C++ as well on both UNIX and Windows). The more I read the more I just think "Why the heck didn't they just use C++ instead of something this obscure?!?!" :).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.