The way the Leopard Dock was supposed to be

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Meh, I don't see much a difference, at least not with the way I use Stacks/The Dock.

OP
Kash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I would use it to stack various types of programs. Like my Internet programs (Firefox, Thunderbird, FTP, etc) could go in one stack, Office in another, and so on and so forth. Plus, being able to put them on the left side is what makes it so much better.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Meh, I don't see much a difference, at least not with the way I use Stacks/The Dock.

The only thing I really saw that was different was grabbing all those Microsoft Apps and dragging them as a group to the dock and it made a stack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I couldn't tell if the guy was putting them on the left side or not in that vid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
That's actually pretty nice, even if subtle. I do try to use stacks that way. I have a few application stacks, though they're on the right side. I had to go through a bit of trouble to make them work, and decided it would probably mess up Office if I did the same thing with those apps. I'd love to have stacks of apps grouped by type for easy access.

Maybe they'll do it in a release in the not-too-distant future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
as long as it's on the right.. can't we already do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's actually pretty nice, even if subtle. I do try to use stacks that way. I have a few application stacks, though they're on the right side. I had to go through a bit of trouble to make them work, and decided it would probably mess up Office if I did the same thing with those apps. I'd love to have stacks of apps grouped by type for easy access.

Just make aliases of the apps you want, put them in a folder and then put the folder in the dock. You now have a stack of apps by group as you desire. You can do as many as you like. I started doing this in 10.3 with just the folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
@baggss: Weren't you the one who wanted a sort of hierarchical menu instead of the stacks? Have you tried Quay (or is it Quey?...)? Seems to be pretty solid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
That would have been nice. I haven't really messed around much with Stacks, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
That would be nice: making a stack without setting up a folder and aliases, and on the left side. If they did that and brought back the hierarchical folder option, I would be happy.

Maybe they liked it, but scaled back it ability to have something to "ohhh" and "ahhh" people in some distant update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@baggss: Weren't you the one who wanted a sort of hierarchical menu instead of the stacks? Have you tried Quay (or is it Quey?...)? Seems to be pretty solid.

Yes it was and no I have not. I'll look up the App and see how it works. Thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Just make aliases of the apps you want, put them in a folder and then put the folder in the dock. You now have a stack of apps by group as you desire. You can do as many as you like. I started doing this in 10.3 with just the folders.
Thank you! I tried it and it works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
If you put stuff in folders and move them to the right on the dock, won't that spread out the right side of the dock and essentially make it one big "right side"? That way technically the right side will be further over to the left.

?

T

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.