New Mac User.. Keyboard question.

Reaction score
I was given an old PowerMac G4, with OS 9. I don't have a proper Mac keyboard, but was wondering if I could use a Compaq keyboard. I also don't have a mouse yet. Can I use a Compaq keyboard? When I start up with the keyboard plugged into the usb port, I get taken to a screen with a little floppy logo... What does that mean? I think it probably has something to with drivers, but can't be sure. Also, there isn't a floppy drive.. Should there be one and get I get drivers for this keyboard? btw I'm posting from my Windows XP computer.

When I start the Mac, I get an ATM error.. I think that's Adobe Type Manager. It tells me to hold shift and restart, but the keyboard doesn't work atn the moment, of course.

Thanks..

OP
D
Reaction score
Try this

I was given a Mac last week and it didn't come with a keyboard or a mouse, but I wanted to check it out so I boot it up and get an error message, "Sorry, a system error occurred ATM error type 119. To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift key."

So I didn't have a keyboard and couldn't do much.. Sense then I've acquired a usb keyboard and usb mouse. The mouse works fine, but the keyboard has a problem. (I tested the keyboard on this PC I'm using now, so it definitely works)

When I turn the Mac on with the keyboard plugged in, I get a flashing question mark inside a little floppy disc... And it never goes away, how ever if I unplug the keyboard, Mac starts up okay until OS 9's little blue bar reaches the halfway point before I get that ATM error. I have a Compaq keyboard Model # KU-9978 .. Is it possible that this keyboard is not compatible or something more severe? Typically, do Mac keyboard have a usb end or this strange looking port, ----> [__>

I'm a newb to Macs so I'm pretty clueless about this, but I'm kinda stuck and am not able to do anything. . . No discs came with it, so... what do I do?

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Dehumanized.

I would think (but I could be wrong) that OS 9 might be the one not accepting that WinBox keyboard of yours and maybe it is looking for an Apple keyboard to startup properly.

Of course, the Power Mac G4 could very well have a messed up system: the flashing icon inside a floppy means it is looking for a valid OS to boot from.

Can you try starting it up by holding down the Shift key? This disables all Extensions and Control Panels: so if one of those is creating a conflict or is incompatible, it will be disabled.

Report back and let us know how it went. Good luck! :)

Edited to add:

About that ATM error: Mac OS 9: Adobe Type Manager, Type Reunion Compatibility, Error -119.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.