• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

encoding tv recordings

Reaction score
Hi,

I use my Windows media center PC to record TV (in DVR-MS format), and I use Visual Hub on my iMac to encode the video to a smaller file size. I have been encoding to MP4 format as I thought I would be able to edit the new file in iMovie to get rid of the adverts etc, but this takes forever to publish/export. Is there any easier/quicker program out there for the Mac that will handle the editing? I can of course encode the original into any of the formats supported by Visual Hub. Would Final Cut Express 4 be any good for this?

Matt

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
TV / Video / DVD are all large files, so will of course take a long time to encode/export, only faster hardware will speed that up.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While I don't use Final Cut Express and can't answer the original question....
Only faster hardware is not necessarily the case either.

Personally am still doing most of this stuff in XP. Have found a vast difference in encode times between software. They are not all created equal. Ex. - TMPGEnc DVD Author for editing commercials and re-encoding a recorded show beats the pants off any of the boxed software commonly available in the stores by 50 - 400%.

And while DVD Shrink and Handbrake don't do exactly the same thing (since Handbrake will not re-encode to the same resolution of a DVD at 720 x 480), DVD Shrink completes the task in fully 1/2 the time on my MBP and cuts it's own time by another 50% on my now almost 4 yr old P4 running even at the stock speed of 3.4.

I would really like to move all of this same type of activity away from my win machines and to the Mac. But when you're talking about encode time differences of 60 minutes on the Mac side vs 30 minutes on the Win side - makes it hard.

I also would be interested in the different software folks have tried for editing commercials out of recorded TV shows. Which ones do you like?
Which ones provide the best quality with the fastest encode times. Or are our choices just that slim?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.