format flash drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I have a flash drive that is kind of acting up on me. Is there a way to format it in OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Disk Utility (applications > Utilities > disk utility). Just select the mounted drive and click "Erase" tab. Then make sure it is MS DOS FAT for volume format and click erase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Actually, you can format it as Mac OS (Journaled) format. You will find that Mac OS X writes to it faster once you do, although if you plan to share it with Windows PCs, this may not work (unless they have MacDrive, or some similar software that lets Windows PCs read Mac OS X's file format).

Reaction score
not working

My 4GB flash drive has been "erasing" for the past 9 hours. Any ideas for rectifying this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes scottie - another drive as they do fail alas and quite often depending on the brand. Best run at the moment seems to be with SanDisk.

Reaction score
Flash Drive Issue

I'm using an 8 gig SanDisk flash drive to transfer files from my pc over to my macbook pro slowly, but every time I delete stuff off of my flash drive it shows that the free space is low, even though there's nothing in my flash drive.

Is there an explanation for this or a way that I can fix it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure there's nothing on the flash drive? There may be large hidden files on there that can't be deleted.

When you plug the flash drive into your PC, open up My Computer, Folder options, and make sure you're showing hidden and system files. Then check to see if there's anything on the drive.

Reaction score
There are hidden files. Do I have to format it every time I want to free up space then?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, that's certainly not necessary. Just use the properties dialog from Windows and remove the hidden, system, and read only attributes from the files. Once those are removed you can delete them in the normal way.

Reaction score
ah, okay. that makes sense.

it's just odd that there are always extra 'hidden files' whenever i plug into a mac.

thanks for you help!

Reaction score
Empty Trash on zip-drive

I used to have that problem and now I always make sure I empty the trash after deleting anything from the zip-drive before ejecting it. It works for me, and it's really simple. I'm not sure if this is the problem for you though. It couldn't hurt to try though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.