Deleting/Unistalling Applications

Reaction score
I'm trying to clean up my applications folder. When I transferred from my iBook to a MacBook, programs like Internet Explorer was installed on the MacBook.When I drag an application icon to my trash can and empty trash does that unistall the application or did I just remove the icon? Also is their a list of the standard applications that should have been on the MacBook?

Reaction score
When you pop an application in the trash bin it leaves behind a lot of files (that over time) can build up .. these are stored in various places in, amongst others, your library.

These can be removed manually (but this isn't the best idea just in case you delete something v. important).

Instead I use this program: http://reggie.ashworth.googlepages.com/appdelete

Many people say use AppZapper but this is a freeware program that does effectively the same thing. Pop it in your dock, then when you want to delete an application drag it on top of the dock item instead of trash bin. After pressing okay it makes a folder in the trash bin of everything its deleted relating to the program you've chosen to delete. It's always best to check over what it has deleted in case it has made a mistake (never happened to me).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i would like to point out that all those files that are left over, for an average user would probably never amount to something noticeable enough to affect them. i can't see them ever going over a few MBs, ever

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
^ I second that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
i would like to point out that all those files that are left over, for an average user would probably never amount to something noticeable enough to affect them. i can't see them ever going over a few MBs, ever

Agreed completely. Unlike Windows, those files will have no real impact on the system operation and will merely take up space on the drive. You would have to install several thousand Apps (or more) for the extra files to take up any noticeable amount of disc space.

To answer the OP, yes. When you put the App in the trash and delete it the whole App (aside from some prefs files mentioned above) is removed. That .App is not analogous to a Windows .exe file. The .App file is actually a package that contains everything the App needs to run and interface with the OS. This is completely unlike Windows where those pieces are strewn hither and yon within the system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MBP
Yeah, I use Appledelete as well. It does a fairly good job catching everything. I always do a spotlight search afterwards using the application name and company name, then check the folders to make sure it is accurate. I have caught a lot of junk this way. Even though .plst and files left behind wont have an effect... I hate clutter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.