Saving a file to a specific directory?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
One thing I have noticed is that when I am prompted to save a document, such as a Microsoft Word document, I am not able to choose a "specific" directory such as Documents\School\Fall 2007\History\World War 2. When I get the save dialog in Word (or any program for that matter), I can choose Documents, but it seems as though I don't know how to actually tell it to save the document to a specific directory as noted above. It allows me to save it to the documents folder, but that is as deep as I can save it, so I have to go in the Documents folder and actually move it (or copy it) into the specific directory I want it to be saved. Am I missing something? How do I do this?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
Nevermind... I answered my own question... sorry.... I didn't realize there was a button next to the filename that expanded the options! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Ahh, but even better, keep looking at the dialog. In the upper right, you will find a Spotlight box. This is hidden gold. Assume that you want to save your file in folder:

Documents\School\Fall 2007\History\World War 2

You COULD use the dialog to navigate there, but if you just type "World" into the Spotlight box (depending on the files you have on your system it may not take more than the first two or three letters), Spotlight will take you right there with no navigation.

This, hands down, has to be my favorite feature in OS X! It is SO convenient.

Reaction score
Ahh, but even better, keep looking at the dialog. In the upper right, you will find a Spotlight box. This is hidden gold. Assume that you want to save your file in folder:

You COULD use the dialog to navigate there, but if you just type "World" into the Spotlight box (depending on the files you have on your system it may not take more than the first two or three letters), Spotlight will take you right there with no navigation.

I've never used that, but that is very cool!

Also, and this is very geeky and most would say not user friendly but yet I still use it. If you just press the forward slash, it will let you manually type in the full path, including network locations.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro

Wow, this is a really neat trick! I'll use the heck out of this one! Thanks for the input!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.