Virus Program

M

MacManc

I know Macs don't need a virus program, but I am going to Providence College and they require you to have a virus program in order to gain access to their network. What would be the best virus program install in terms of the least taxing on your system resources? Thanks in advance.

OP
M

MacManc

My school offers norton for free but its not a mac-friendly campus so I figured that I'd be on my own for Mac virus software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If you have .Mac, Virex is free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Just install something (freeware anti-virus) and show it to them and then get rid of it. hah!

OP
M

MacManc

I thought about getting .mac because as you said it has virex, but its $100 dollars which is expensive as anything. I also have everything that .Mac offers (email etc). So I was really just looking for a stand alone anti-virus. I know about Virex and Norton and I am torn between the two. I have used Norton all of my life on my Windows Machines (Yes, I was once on the darkside) but I am wondering if Virex is the better Mac-Alternative

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I had absolutely no problem running Norton AV 9.0 on the Mac. It was just fine. I only switched to Virex because it was free with .Mac, otherwise I would have stuck with Norton...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
my school offers sophos for mac and pc for the virus program

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.