Sharing my laptop internet connection to iPhone

Reaction score
Hi,

I can't always find a hotspot but I can always connected via the 3G USB modem in my laptop and there are certain things I'd like to do with my iPhone from the internet.

I've tried to share the internet connection from my MacBook Pro with my iPhone (System Preferences - Sharing) via Airport, however the sharing doesn't seem to work. The iPhone can "see" the wifi signal but it can't connect.

Is there anything that I missed here? Please advice.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Did you enable internet sharing in "System preferences > Sharing"? If the wifi icon in your menubar shows a little computer, then it's a computer network. If it shows the radio waves icon with an arrow, then it's internet sharing.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks goobi,

Yes, I've enabled the internet sharing and my airport icon on the menubar shows an up arrow. The screenshot for my sharing preferences is here: http://picboost.com/upload/737_Internet Sharing.jpg

But somehow as I wrote before, iPhone still can't connect to the net although it does "see" the wifi.

What else could be wrong? :-(

Reaction score
I too have done this correctly and actually see the wifi icon displayed on my iPhone 3G as if it is connected, but when i try to view any web pages it just times out like its not connected.

Could someone please provide a solution to this

Reaction score
MBP firewall change fixed this for me!

This has been annoying me for weeks now.

After reading a few other of the topics on this site, I decided to try changing the MBP firewall settings - AND IT WORKED.

As others have said I could see the wireless on my iPhone, but the internet wasn't working. It started working straight away as soon as I did the following:

Go To system Preferences - security - firewall

Then go to Advanced, and uncheck "Block all incoming connections"

I left the other settings as they were (i.e. stealth mode on) and I'm afraid I don't know the security implications of what I did, but it works!:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
when i want to go on-line via my home or work internet connection i just jump on WiFi.. no need to go through the laptop. am i missing something ?

Reaction score
Thanks for this post and instructions. I was able to share my laptop's wired connection with my iphone.

To answer the question as to when this would be useful - I am in a hotel overseas and paying for wired access in my hotel room. Since I don't want to pay for my iPhone access and I want to download files bigger than the 3G limit (let alone avoid data roaming charges), the sharing allows me to do this. You are right, at home, the iPhone just uses my wifi connection directly.

-Laird

Reaction score
I still can not browse on my ipad even though i turn of the firewall setting at:

Setting > System preferences > Security > firewall

anymore help? thank you :)

Reaction score
iPod connect to wireless but..

My ipod connect to My network airport connection but when I want use internet for example open one page on safari or check mail, say you are not connect to internet:(
everybody know what's problem?

Thanks,
Parhum

Reaction score
When I was on travel to the Caribbean working but not with some hiccups. Now I'm in Guam and it doesn't work at all. I get the arrow up icon on the airport and even get a IP on my phone but no connectivity. Uhgg...

Reaction score
I made it work on windows

IT wasn't working for me on windows (running on a mac though). Same issue, shared the created WEP connection - was visible to iPhone but wasn't really transmitting any internet data on request.

got an idea from this post and tried this - Had AVG installed, temporarily disabled the AVG protection completely from advanced settings - the internet started working. now enabled AVG back. stlil internet was working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.