Leopard Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Hello all, I just wanted to quickly share my problems with Leopard and if anyone is thinking of switching to give this a read.

A brief background on me - I've been in the MIS/IT field for a little over 17 years - I'm a consultant, programmer, web designer and network tech (a little bit of everything).

I have a year old iMac Core Duo 2.16 GHz which has been running terrific since the day I bought it. Until Leopard. I did the clean install upgrade option and ever since I have experienced lockups (no kernel panics though), random sluggishness opening various programs, and application crashes.

What did me in was last night while editing our annual family holiday photo in PhotoShop CS2, I saved my work, it locked up. I waited 5 minutes for the "beach ball" to stop spinning before turning it off (couldn't force quit).
When I opened the image back up it was all static and rainbow colors.

Couldn't be recovered. SO, that's when I backed up al I could and re-installed Tiger from restore DVD's. Before the PhotoShop fiasco, I did a repair permissions which corrected all errors it found (a lot of them) and that seemed to help but I still experienced lockups. I upgraded all programs to Leopard compatible versions where possible, and also did a verify disk with no problems found.

So just a word of caution to those thinking of upgrading (and I know there are a lot of people out there that have NO problems of ANY kind but still a word to err of the side of caution) make a backup of your critical data (you should when upgrading anyway) and be ready to revert back to your previous OS.

Will I go back to Leopard? Sure! As soon as the bugs are worked out. I have read reviews where Apple has acknowledged certain problems and are ironing them out, but I will hold off until 10.5.2, or perhaps .3 or .4. ;)

Still a happy Apple customer.

Thanks!

(And prior to this I've owned and successfully troubleshot several Apple computers and PC's, both mine and my customers) - Just my two cents.

-IanCT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Backing up important data applies to any OS installation or upgrade anyways.. Sorry to hear your bad experience but did you not enable TM for backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.0GHz C2D iMac, 2.5GB RAM || 2GHz C2D Macbook White, 2GB RAM || PowerMac G4 533MHz, 1GB RAM
Just thought I'd give you the heads up on this, IanCT, incase you hadn't read. Though normally I'd recommend giving Leopard another shot, you may want to keep Tiger if you don't want to upgrade to Photoshop CS3. Adobe has acknowledged there are problems with CS2 on Leopard and they do not intend to correct them since it's an older version. I can't remember everything they said at the moment, but there is a write up on their site on this topic.
Also, I'm sure there are a few people on here who are running CS2 just fine on Leopard, but I figured I'd throw that info into the mix.

OP
IanCT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Though normally I'd recommend giving Leopard another shot, you may want to keep Tiger if you don't want to upgrade to Photoshop CS3.

I didn't know that, Thanks! I don't plan on getting CS3 anytime soon either.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Leopard, I just wanted to share/rant. =) I'll go back once it looks like the issues have been ironed out.

OP
IanCT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Backing up important data applies to any OS installation or upgrade anyways.. Sorry to hear your bad experience but did you not enable TM for backups.

I did have a good backup before I started, I just didn't backup the PS file since I had just created it - and I just got Leopard and didn't configure TM yet. No time lately, holiday season and busy work schedule sadly...

I plan on using it when I go back to Leopard, I have an external 250GB firewire drive ready for the task when I do.

Regards,
-Ian

Reaction score
Hey, I ve only just bought a Mac and since I ve updated to leopard even pages loading off the internet has become so sluggish, today pictures/ graphics on amazon don't even load! real disappointment! I dont think I have the cd for tiger Id consider re installing it till I get CS3 and an update for leopard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.