Call of Duty 4

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a late 2006 white macbook and just bought COD4. I was not sure whether I was going to be able to play it or not because of my video card. I use bootcamp with XP and after I installed the game I tried to play but got an error saying "Video card or driver doesn't support UBYTE4N vertex data." I have read a lot about people playing it with there Macbook Pro's but I understand their video cards are much better.

Is there anything I can do at this point to get the game to work?

If not I was wondering what awesome games for PC's can I get that will work with my video card?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
COD4 is a pretty graphics intensive game, I'm pretty sure it won't run on the integrated graphics of your Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM
Most likely a iMac or Macbook Pro with 256 graphics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
COD4 is impossible on a macbook...if Oblivion is impossible then for sure COD4 is the same

Reaction score
Hehe, if I had a nickel for every time a person posts about this. Macbook (Pre-Aluminum) CAN actually run COD4 on BOOTCAMP XP. This applies to macbooks made late 2007 and after which use the Intel GMA X3100 (also known as Intel GM965) Integrated graphics card. When using XP on boot camp, what you have to do is go to the INTEL website and download the updated driver for this graphics card, it will be listed as the GM965 and it will install the proper drivers. The problem with bootcamp is that it doesn't install all the best drivers for xp and you need to go hunt for them. Once you update the gfx drivers, you will be able to play COD4 on your macbook running bootcamp. The next thing you have to do is download the latest COD 4 patch 1.7. FINALLY. COD4 will crash if you play Singleplayer as you load the first mission because the gfx isnt meant to be able to play the game or something of that nature...

BUT you are able to play the Multiplayer mode, granted you will have to go to the lowest settings, all the lowest textures too and run it at 640x 480. Some maps will run at 800x600 without excessive much frame rate drop. But i recommend running at 640x480 all the time to increase fps for a smoother experience.
Also, you must access the console and turn off the extra details from the game such as the graffiti on the wall and pictures so that you save rendering time and cash in on more frames. to access the console you need to press the ` button over the tab button. then type these commands
/r_drawDecals 0
/sm_enable 0
There are other commands that can help boost performance too. turning off ragdoll and number of corpses helps a lot too just look them up.

Although 640x480 is small you still get the cod4 multiplayer experience. Some maps wont work though, and you will get a DirectX Error. But what can you do.
The maps that do work fine are: Crossfire, Crash/ Winter Crash/ Shipment, Wet Work, Broadcast, Creek, Bog, Showdown, Downpour, Overgrown, Vacant.
The maps that work but are too choppy to play effectively are: District, Strike, Bloc, Countdown (unless its a 4v4 or less), and Backlot.
All other maps crash. Sometimes these maps will crash as loading but reload them and it'll work.

I am currently playing COD4 on my macbook white thru a 24" extended display. Makes up for the fact its running at 640x480 and i get to play a smooth match, that is until more than 12 join the match. But i like 5v5 matches anyway.
I hope i was of some help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
striker, while all that is well and good, it doesn't apply to the OP since he/she has a late 2006 model, which has the GMA 950 chip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.