imac g5 ethernet issues

Reaction score
I have a 1 1/2 year old imac g5 PowerPC G5 (3.1) running Mac OS X 10.4.11. Everything was working fine until about 5 pm ET the network just died on me. Since then I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue and the deeper I dig into it the more frustrated I've been getting. So finally I decided to seek some guidance for someone far more knowledgeable than me.

For the past several months I've been connecting to a Linksys wrt350n gigabit router using DSL. Today when it died it was still connected to it and so were 2 other PCs. I did notice my VPN tunnel closed on a laptop that I was working on but I was able to reconnect to the network on that laptop using windows w/o issues. Now the mac which may have had the same network hick up never recovered from it. Now the strangest part is I can get to the router admin screen , no problems there but I cannot connect to the internet, when I try I get a page cannot be displayed error. I upgraded the firmware version on the router after this mishap but no luck. I also have another wrt54gs which is hooked to another cable modem, when I connected the mac to that modem everything started working. But I don't like using the cable modem since it is unreliable and I only use it as a backup in situations like these. I have always been using "Automatically" under Ethernet -- Built-in Ethernet. When I played with that to point to Manually (autosense/100baseTX or 1000baseT) the internet connection would work for a few seconds and then it dies again.

Can someone help me figure out this mess? Do you think the ethernet jack is bad?

Thanks in advance!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you can log into the router from the iMac then the ethernet jack can't be bad. I wonder if some setting got messed up somewhere when the glitch happened. Since it works on the other Linksys WRT54GS and gets internet, I am wondering if it's something in the other Linksys that your DSL is connected to?

Is your iMac set to use DHCP?

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for responding dtravis7!! I hate when this happens but this morning everything worked the way it used to. I use DHCP with a manual ip . I wonder if there is some sort of TTL somewhere in the network configuration that held on until it got flushed. I'm glad that is all behind me now and I'm back up and running using the same network configuration.

Thanks again!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.