My Situation: Worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Hey guys,
I'm looking to possibly go out and buy Leopard, but I'm just wondering it would really even add any beneficial features that Tiger can't do for my computer now.

Here's my setup:
Powerbook G4 15" (Yeah, rockin' the TiBook)
867MHz
768 MB RAM
40 GB Internal HD
Running 10.4.11 at the moment,
10.28 GB free space on the internal HD
No external drive (yet)

I use photoshop pretty regularly, but it's just a personal computer not a work one.

My primary fear of upgrading is the idea that half the new leopard features require a system with better features than mine, and I'm afraid that the whole OS will run slow. Is it worth it when a lot of the apps reworked in Leopard don't even effect my machine?

I'm also probably going to be buying a brand new laptop (mac of course) in 1-1.5 years for college, so Leopard would be bundled with that anyways.

I'm in need of an idea to give my mom for a gift for me, so Leopard is an option, but I would rather get something else if it really wouldn't be terribly beneficial for me.

What do you guys recommend? O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If it ain't broke... don't "fix" it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I'm with D3v1l80Y, I wouldn't do it. If your computer works and does what you need it to, then there isn't really any reason to.

But then again, its your call! :)

OP
mikepugs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Yeah, I'm thinkin' the same thing.

Does anyone know how many more updates apple is planning to do for Tiger though? I don't want to become obsolete in a few months if I can help it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I don't want to become obsolete in a few months if I can help it.

American Heritage Dictionary said:
ob·so·lete (ŏb'sə-lēt', ŏb'sə-lēt') Pronunciation Key
adj.

1. No longer in use
If it still works for you and you are using it, then I don't think you have to worry about becoming obsolete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
For me 10.4 will only become obsolete when a majority of the apps require 10.5 or later.

M

MacHeadCase

Also keep in mind that if you do upgrade to Leopard, your PB barely makes the cut as it meets the lowest requirements. That means it might be sluggish. If you're happy with the way it's going, keep it that way like the rest of the crew says in here.

But.... you could ask your mom for an external hard drive though. You'd be able to free some space on your internal hard drive, you'd be able to use it for backups, etc.

As long as it has a FireWire interface and has a clone copy of your internal on it, you could even use it to boot from, in case of an emergency.

It might come to a slightly more expensive gift than buying Leopard, but you'd get to keep it for a long time and it would very very useful, even a lifesaver in some cases.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.