New Mac...Please HELP!!

Reaction score
Hi, I have been using a mac for around 3 years now.

I have just bought a Mac Mini. It is 2nd hand and I want to change the user information and the administrator password. I don't know the person who had it last.

Is there a way of overiding the admin password?

Can i find out what the password is? Surely there must be something for this, as what would happen if you forgot your password?

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Did you get the original restore discs? I hope you did, otherwise if you have any troubles with it, its going to be alot harder to fix.

Since I know you have the original restore discs ;) insert them, and restart the computer while holding down the "C" key. Then I'd recommend doing an erase and install and put a fresh install on it and it will remove the previous users info and let you set it up as your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Grey disc? Thats the one.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes, it is grey. Is there a 2nd disc that I need? I'm just curious as it says it is disc 1.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There should be. I know iMacs and iBooks had 2 discs, so I would assume that the Mini should too.

OP
P
Reaction score
Oh. I guess this will be a problem then. Is it worth trying it with just the 1 disc, or will I only get so far and be stuck?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you'll be able to use the 1 disc, but all the extra content is on disc 2.

OP
P
Reaction score
That's OK then. What kind of extra content is it? Things like iTunes and Quicktime?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iLife and a few other things.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Boot from that DVD by holding down the C key after the startup sound. When you get to the installer click on the menu and on Reset Password. It will allow you to reset the password and put in your own.

Opps did not see Stretch's post. Without the 2nd DVD there will be some things missing, probably iLife. If you want to keep the system set up the way it is, try the Reset Password part in the installer for now till you can maybe get a hold of the missing DVD. I have an older Mini and there are for sure 2 DVD's.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh655.html

OP
P
Reaction score
OK. I've got to the installer and it says I need to have the 2nd dics ready. Should I ignore it and go ahead, or stop?

Thanks

OP
P
Reaction score
Right. I've done the boot from disc using the "C" key. I've changed the passwords. I couldn't find anything wrong or anything missing with the way everything was installed at first, so should I restart now and go back into how it was but with new passwords, or is there anything else you can suggest?

Thanks

OP
P
Reaction score
OK. All is done, I'm back in as normal now. One problem though...the documents, picutres, music and movies folders have disappeared from the finder window. Any ideas where they have gone or how to get them back?

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you Manually rename the Home folder by any chance? If you did that is a No No on OSX. There is a way back though. Let us know.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks, that worked. All is as it should be...nice and Mac!

Thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated.

Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.