• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Good Mac Xmas gift?

Reaction score
I'm looking around for xmas presents for the gf, exploring the possibilities of accesories, programs, etc I could get for her laptop.

She has a 15" MacBook pro, and does alot of work related stuff w/ it (she's in advertising, uses alot of the Adobe CS3 apps).

Any accessories or programs I could get that'd make a good present? I think she's set w/ CS3 so I'm leaning towards accessories rather than programs

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
It sounds like she might be pretty well set up with Mac stuff already. The only thing that comes to mind is a fairly large USB memory stick (8 GB or so) for transferring around those enormous CS3 files. Memory sticks are getting bigger and faster all the time - it is possible that she doesn't have a fairly current one? Always useful!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Wacom tablet? They are a little on the expensive side but nothing beats using a pen for graphic work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
You could approach it a couple ways.

You could ask her for some ideas. Computers are very personal, and it would be easy to get the wrong thing for her. It takes some of the surprise out of it, but then it also takes some of the bad surprise out of it too.

Alternatively, you could get her a gift card from Apple and do some fancy things with how you wrap it. Hmmm... ;) Depending on how much you want to spend on her...

If you have some photos of things you've done together - an outing or even just some goof around time - make an Apple book in iPhoto. You don't have to go for the hard cover. Make a medium size soft cover book, and use that to give her the gift card. Done right, that could be a real hit with her.

Reaction score
I second the Wacom tablet. I couldn't survive without mine.

What about a 24" external monitor?

more RAM?

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks for the suggestions!

USB memory drive - I like the idea, would make a nice toss in. Are there any brands I should learn towards? avoid?

Wacom table - looked into it, too pricey, wouldn't be for her either.

Gift card - nah, that'd be phoning it in

applebook - can you elaborate? never heard of it before? just a picture album made via iPhoto? seems like a good throw in like the USB drive

she mentioned wanting one of these a while ago iLap but she got one on her own and took a possible layup present away from me. she ended up not being a fan and doesn't use it all that much.

are there any other accessories conducive to somebody who uses their laptop while lying in bed?

OP
M
Reaction score
I second the Wacom tablet. I couldn't survive without mine.

What about a 24" external monitor?

more RAM?
thanks but a big 'no' on all of those. she's not knee-deep enough in CS3 nor her advertising career to warrant any of those. plus i'm trying to spend $200 at the max

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
applebook - can you elaborate? never heard of it before? just a picture album made via iPhoto? seems like a good throw in like the USB drive
That's it. ^_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
Why not get her something non-work related like maybe a iPod nano? Just a thought.

OP
M
Reaction score
Why not get her something non-work related like maybe a iPod nano? Just a thought.
that'd be my first idea but she has one.

and i'm not looking for a gift that's necessarily tailored to her work usage of her macbook, just throwing it out incase there was something that'd fit the bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
Does she have a laptop stand? And or a USB light? Good luck finding perfect gift. I'm still working on that myself.

Reaction score
thanks but a big 'no' on all of those. she's not knee-deep enough in CS3 nor her advertising career to warrant any of those. plus i'm trying to spend $200 at the max

Well, you don't need to be "knee deep" in CS3 or an advertising career to enjoy any of these gifts.

You can get a Wacom intuos3 4x6 for $199.00

She can be really creative with it. It's an industry standard for Photoshop work.

You can't be really creative with a flash drive. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
you can get a portable hard drive if you are looking at more storage then a flash drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Maybe you could get her one of those fancy acid free photo albums and a few stickers. So she can put her photos (edited in PS CS3 and printed out) into it and do that scrapbooking thing. It's an idea.

Are the apple photo albums acid free? I remember ages ago Jobs talked about them in a keynote. I dunno if Apple still do them or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.