Missing files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I'm having a bit of a problem I just can't figure out..

Earlier today I had downloaded a screensaver (designed for Mac OS 10.5, which is what I'm using, and from the official Showtime site, so I never gave any thought to downloading it) and when I went to install it, it went through the installation, but when I opened the icon it left on my Desktop, System Preferences said that it wasn't compatible, and that an error had occurred (I can't remember the exact message). When I closed System Preferences and returned to the Desktop, everything I had on there was gone, except for the icons for my hard drive and the Windows XP-partitioned portion of the drive. These icons had returned to their original state, ie. I had enlarged them and opted to have the free space details show up underneath, and this had reverted to the original settings.

Now I can't find any of the folders or content I had on my desktop before I installed this screensaver. I've searched manually and with Spotlight and nothing's turning up. I can't figure it out at all. If anyone has any idea what I can do, I'd really appreciate some help! Thanks.

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Thanks for your reply.

I hadn't renamed anything, though. I only have one user account, mine -- and I'm the administrator.

I forgot to mention that 'Desktop' had disappeared from the left side bar in my Finder windows. It has always appeared first in a list of my Home folder, Applications and Documents, however I had to add it manually after my files disappeared and my icons were altered.

I've now deleted the screensaver files but this has made no difference. I'm convinced it has something to do with my installing it, because it happened just afterwards and I have never known anything like this to happen with a Mac before.

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, not using Time Machine, although I now see how it might be handy to have..

M

MacHeadCase

stevo-m, can you restart in Safe Boot mode by holding down the Shift key?

Once in, restart again, but this time you will reset the PRAM by holding down the Command + Option + P + R keys, let the startup sound happen five times then let go.

See if that helps. Report back please. Good luck! :)

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi MacHeadCase. Tried what you suggested, but it hasn't changed anything, as far as I can see. What is that supposed to do, exactly? No new files appeared on my Desktop after I restarted and let it start up after the fifth chime. I also searched for the files that have gone missing and still can't find them.

M

MacHeadCase

Booting into Safe Boot mode clears some junk from the system. Resetting the PRAM clears some data contained in the PRAM, sometimes it'll fix quirky behaviour.

One last thing I can think of that you might could try, download MainMenu (correct spelling) from Santa Software, install it and launch it: it appears in the menubar as a little cross thingy in a rectangle.

In the Cleaning section, select clean User Cache after it's done select Deep Clean System Cache. Restart.

If that doesn't fix it, I have no other ideas here other than, as a last ditch effort, you could make a Spotlight search for one of those files - if you remember one of the file names you lost - with a search criteria of invisibility.

Looks like the installation of that screen saver either deleted, moved or made invisible some files which makes no sense at all.

BTW which screensaver is it so everybody can avoid it like the plague?

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all your help. Unfortunately none of my files have turned up. How irritating!

It was a 'Dead Like Me' screensaver, from the Showtime website. Yes, avoid at all costs!

M

MacHeadCase

Well gee! That screensaver really deleted those files then? That's crazy. I hope for you these weren't important files.

Thinking about this, I think I'll keep my desktop clean from now on. :eek:

Anyway if anyone has any other ideas, now is the time to jump in. I've exhausted all I can think of. Sorry stevo-m.

Reaction score
Run a search on the drive for Dead Like Me, then Showtime, including invisibles in the search, and see if anything turns up. If it does, kill it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.