"Identities" feature with any other email client other than Thunderbird?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs
hey, i've recently switched to a mac and i like the mac mail client better than thunderbird, which i used to use on my pc. the way it handles addresses and such is way easier and less stressful than my pc was ever able to, but i have one problem.

in thunderbird, it lets you make different identities. for example, emails sent to email A get forwarded to my main email address, email B. i want to be able to send mail from either A or B in the same client. i can't set up pop access with email A because there is none available, otherwise i'd just do that. do you know if there's any way to manage identities in mac mail? i like everything about mac mail except that.

i hope everything was clear. basically just need to be able to have identities in mac mail. the client works perfectly (thus far) every other way except that. much nicer to work with than outlook.

i have entourage i just haven't really tried giving it a go yet (i only got office mac for word and pp). any opinions on entourage? i like the mac mail interface better though... i wish there was a way to get what i want done with mac mail.

thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
do you mean different accounts? because you can do that in the preferences, just hit accounts then the plus on the bottom, then all your accounts will be on the left and you can select different ones at any time.

OP
ekologik
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi powerbookG4, no i don't mean accounts. i can't set up an account with the secondary email because i don't have pop access for that email address.

what thunderbird allows me to do is set up a different identity from the existing email account. i was wondering if mac mail can do that (and i just haven't figured it out) or if there was another mail client that could.

thanks!

OP
ekologik
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
to add more info, these two accounts are practically one.. like, i get mailed at this email address and everything forwards to my main address. i just need it to say "from" for the email address that doesn't have pop access. thunderbird was able to do that for me in the account settings > manage identities/identities > add (and i can add that email address that doesn't get pop acess so i can write email from it).

OP
ekologik
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks everyone, i figured it out!

- i did so by forwarding mail to an address that allowed pop and set that up with Mail.
- when setting up the account, used name and email address for the account that doesn't have pop
- for login purposes, used the email and password of the email that i forward it to.
- SSL authentication checked

and it worked. took some time but i figured it out. much more involved than with thunderbird but to have the nicer interface and vCard handling skills, so worth it.

thanks for your input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.