Newbie question: How to access wireless choices?

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to laptops, and I just acquired a MacBook Pro. When I'm away from my Airport Extreme I see a list of other wireless networks, with little locked symbols next to them. Many begin with "2wire..."

I realize these are probably neighbors' wireless routers showing up. Is it possible to hitch-hike off any of these? Is there even a way to identify whose router it is, in order to negotiate an arrangement?

Or do I have to go the way of an internet-access card from my cell-phone service provider?

How do you get your internet fix when you're out and about?

Swazay

Reaction score
If there is a lock, you need a password for it. It's also illegal to use internet like that, unless you do have an arrangement. You can do a google search with your provider to see if there is a card you can get. I think most of them use usb for mac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
... and not a drop to drink.

Also keep in mind that when you connect to a wireless network that is not secured (i.e. does not require a password), that all data you transmit between your computer and the wireless access point is transmitted in plain text. Meaning that any passwords, credit card numbers or personally identifiable information can be easily farmed.

In addition, sometimes people set up "honey pots". These are hot-spots that are unsecured in order to attract unknowing people looking for a cheap and easy Internet connection. Then, their machines are raided and all of their transactions recorded in the hopes of finding marketable data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
How to access wireless choices?

I see a list of other wireless networks, with little locked symbols next to them.
To put it bluntly, those aren't choices for you then. They might be detected, but if you don't have authorization to use them, they are not a choice for you. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you who answered my query.

It leads to question number 2: Is the Internet-access card from a cell-phone service provider the only solution for access when you're not at home or at a WIFI cafe?

Doesn't it seem like there ought to be WIFI service providers everywhere, that you could pay a small fee to hop on for an hour or two? It would be the equivalent of pre-paying for cell-phone minutes as needed.

Swazay

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks to all of you who answered my query.

It leads to question number 2: Is the Internet-access card from a cell-phone service provider the only solution for access when you're not at home or at a WIFI cafe?

Well, aside from using dial-up, yes.

Doesn't it seem like there ought to be WIFI service providers everywhere, that you could pay a small fee to hop on for an hour or two? It would be the equivalent of pre-paying for cell-phone minutes as needed.

Swazay

There's Wi-Fit hotspots all over the place - book stores, coffee shops, restaurants (I understand McDonald's is starting to roll-out Wi-Fi), airports, hotels, etc. You just need to know where to look. Heck, some cities are rolling out city-wide Wi-Fi.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.