apple care

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
I bought a black macbook about 3 months ago but i dident get any extended warranty care or anything.

I know that all macbooks come with a 1 year warrenty, but is the apple 4 year warranty really worth the amount of money it costs? Has anyone had any use out of it?

Is it possible to buy apple care for my macbook now or would it be two late?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i used my normal one year warranty to replace the superdrive on my macbook.

i did get a little panicked right before my one year was up, and purchased applecare. so you can do it, but it only covers from the purchase date of the hardware, not of applecare.

i ahven't had to use the a.c. yet, but it's only been a couple months.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
For me AppleCare paid for itself on my PowerMac. Also AppleCare only extends the coverage for an additional two years for a totla of three years from the purchase of the hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
its a neccesity for peace of mind, i do find it a little ridiculous that we spend more than most on our computers and have to pay more money to ensure they work? capitalism for ya

my two cents.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs
i have a friend who doesn't believe in warranties. he has a desktop and didn't get apple care. the woman at the store tried to convince me to get apple care... i know they aren't commissioned but maybe they get some kind of incentive? anyways, i felt really pressured, and i feel like that's how apple makes a lot of their money (they usually don't get problems with it though, right, and it's more profitable to sell a warantee than it is to sell hardware).

i'm someone who doesn't believe in insurance either, and i didn't buy the apple care. so far no problems. if you get paranoid, like someone said, when your year is ending you can still buy it. it's still only from the day you bought it so it'd be like you bought it that same day.

Reaction score
I would suggest getting AppleCare. I'm glad I did as mine paid for itself due to a fried logic board.

One interesting thing I'll note is AppleCare does not cover accidents. I dropped my Powerbook and cracked the LCD. Apple informed me I was not covered as AppleCare only covers hardware malfunctions.

If you're looking for further protection, I'd recommend getting insurance on it. It's fairly cheap and covers just about anything that can happen to it: stolen, lost, etc...

If you're a home owner, your home owners insurance may also cover it; but that's something you'd have to look into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" Unibody White
Having just recently bought my macbook, I must say it feels good to know it's covered until late 2010!!! It was especially sweet of the Apple store geniuses to let me upgrade to the macbook I have now, the first one I bought had a dodgy combodrive, among other issues... I took it back 3 times within the first week to try and get it sorted with no luck... so for my trouble they let me exchange it and pay just $100 more for the superdrive model. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.