mail questions

Reaction score
Since I bought my macbook pro I didn't really have a need for the mail account. However, I'm now wanting to use it. Unfortunately, I can't seem to remember the password. What I'm wondering is there anyway I can delete this account and start over fresh where I can pick my username and password? I'm not worried about anything that I might have sitting in the inbox since I've never seen it nor have I had anything sent to it. I've been using my other service providers email but am wanting to get away from that. I hope this makes sense.

OP
N
Reaction score
I guess I should clarify a little. For some reason my account name is only one letter. So it shows up as [email protected] I have no need for this name because I don't even know what it is, and yes too difficult to remember. When I go to the preferences I see there is a 4 digit password. However, that password doesn't work when I try to use it. I want to delete this whole account and start over, fresh. Can that be done at all? Like I said, I'm not worried about mail that will be lost, h#@& I've never seen it anyways.

OP
N
Reaction score
I'm not trying to change my administrators password, only the password that is required for retrieving my mail. Wait, can they be different or are they the same.

Let me start over.

I know my admisinstrator password.
I had set up the mail account when I first got my computer.
I have never used mac mail before.
I have since forgotten the account information.
My adminstrator password doesn't work when I try to get mail.
I want a different mail account.
I don't mind if I have to delete the orginal one to get a different one.

I hope that makes sense.

M

MacHeadCase

Hmm ok gotcha now. This email account is completely empty, right? No emails in it, etc.?

Then I guess it is safe for you to delete it and start over. If you're not sure you can first add an email account by going to Mail.app's Preferences and clicking on the + sign at the bottom left to add and next configure the new account: then if everything looks good, delete the old account.

I have to admit that I'm not too good with email and networking so maybe you could take your cues from someone else.

OP
N
Reaction score
Hmm ok gotcha now. This email account is completely empty, right? No emails in it, etc.?

Then I guess it is safe for you to delete it and start over. If you're not sure you can first add an email account by going to Mail.app's Preferences and clicking on the + sign at the bottom left to add and next configure the new account: then if everything looks good, delete the old account.

See, I tried this. I tried the plus sign and it asked for my password. When I type in my administration password it doesn't work.

I can't tell if there is any mail in the mailbox because it asks for my password when I click the check mail tab.

All of my important mail is through my other provider. I don't really care whats in this mac box because if there is anything, I'm sure it's just junk anyways.

OP
N
Reaction score
crap...nevermind...didn't see the continue option available after reading the warning.

[email protected] I set up a new account. Now when I click "Get Mail", like before, it asks for my password. I type in the password and it doesn't work. I'm beginning to wonder if this is how it's been the whole time. It's no wonder I use my other provider for email. Why have a email account when I can't even check my mail because the password doesn't work.

M

MacHeadCase

I thought you meant you wanted to start a new email account from scratch but you are trying to access an existing account. Ok, so which type of email is it? Is it from your ISP? I think you have to contact them to ask if they can't help you with the retrieval of that password.

There could be a way for you to retrieve it yourself if you saved your email password in Keychain. This is how to do it.

OP
N
Reaction score
I have an email account through a different service provider, Juno, for 10+ years.
At some point I had entered a few pieces of information that was for the mac mail when I first got my MBP 1.5 years ago.
I never used this account provided by Mac because I had my juno acount.
I have made changes to my computer that required my administration password which I provided and had no problems which means my administration password works.
I can not check mac mail without providing a password.
I don't know what this password is, my adminstration password or a different one. However, I think even if it's a different password, I set it up to be the same.
When I enter this password in, it comes up with an invalid entry.
I wanted to create a mac mail account so that I can use it for personal use.
I created one with a password that I know. However, when I try to check my mail for that account I am asked to enter a password, which I do. I get this, "The .Mac server “mail.mac.com” rejected the password for user ...(my account)" It appears that my password is not working, even though I am entering it correctly.
Because of this, it will not let me check my mail or send mail because of password issue.
I see no place that I can reset my password.
Much more of this and I'll have to look elsewhere for email service. This is really making me upset.

OP
N
Reaction score
I have found this before. Unfortunately, "Your member name, birth month or birth day is invalid" is what I get when I enter my information.

M

MacHeadCase

Well I'm fresh out of ideas. Someone else will have to take over. Sorry it didn't work.

OP
N
Reaction score
That's alright, thanks for your help and thoughts. I've sent a message to Mac for their help. This would be my first complaint with my only Mac computer. One problem in 1.5 years, not bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.