• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Christmas tree: Real or fake?

Reaction score
I have a 9' pre-lit artificial tree. I got it on clearance for $50.00 after Christmas last year. It was quite a savings considering it was $350.00 before Christmas.

Holiday decorating has never been so easy.

In my house, fake is the new real. ;D

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
always been a fan of the real thing (as long as the old tree is disposed of properly).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
Real of course

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Always real. You just can't compete with the experience of going out and cutting it yourself. You have to be responsible with it thoough, not lazy (hence fake trees ;))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I have a fake tree. I don't like getting pricked by the pine needles and I don't like getting sticky from the sap. :)

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
I'd rather let the tree live. Why cut down a perfectly good tree only to put it inside your house for a month and then throw it out?

My Grandparents-in-law buy a small tree and leave it in it's container. Then they plant it after Christmas. I think that's a great idea!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
My Grandparents-in-law buy a small tree and leave it in it's container. Then they plant it after Christmas. I think that's a great idea!

i've often thought of that. i don't feel too bad about the tree farming though, pine grows fast, and if disposed of properly can be used as mulch or compost. ideally, i'd just have a potted tree on the deck of my townhome, decorate that and just keep the presents in the house. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
We've had fake and real over the years. The last real one we had was awful. We had to dump it shortly after we'd gotten it, as it was losing so many needles. Our neighbor then decided that we'd had a perfectly fine tree, so he took it from the garbage pickup pile. :Smirk: When he disposed of it, the tree was fairly bare.

I like real trees, but fake ones work for me too.

Reaction score
We use to get real ones, but recently got a pre lit 9 foot artificial one. Its nice and definitely looks real, a lot of room under the tree for goodies, *cough* new iPod *cough* ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Fake and pre-lit. Every year when I assemble it, I exclaim that fake, pre-lit trees are God's Christmas gift to mankind. It pretty much unfolds like an umbrella and is ready for ornaments in 10 minutes. No falling needles, no hours of struggling to get the lights just right, no disposal, just instant gratification :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Fake. When I was 10 my best friends house burned down 2 days before Christmas when the real tree went up.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Fake all the way. Not fun picking pine needles out of your foot for the rest of the year. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I've always had a real tree, but once the time comes that I get the tree, its gonna be pre-lit and pre-decorated so I can just set and plugin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
We have a real tree this year. The wife says if you keep them watered and drop in the life preserver meds, they last at least a month without losing needles. I grew up with fake tree's. As a matter of fact, I have a aluminum tree with color wheel from the 60's I used until this year. Although I have no plans to sell the tree ( they bring insane money on eBay ), I am going to miss my shinny tree. I have to admit, the real tree does smell great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
I am going real again which is a shock to me. Two years ago when we (my gf and i) got a tree there was an extra xmas surprise in it. It turns out the one we had chosen was home to a praying mantis nest. The nest and all the little guys started coming out on xmas so the tree was full of the tiny bugs. They were also on the floor and ceiling. It was quite the experience. I thought it was great. My girlfriend seemed to disagree with me. For the past ten months all she has talked about is how we have to get a fake tree so this doesn't happen again. Then last week she was commenting on how we have to get a live tree.

I hope we pick another winner

JRV

Reaction score
Several years ago we switched to a fake pre-lit tree. You really can't beat it. The light placement is far better than anything I could produce and it goes up quickly. Obviously you can buy a cheap fake looking one or spend a little extra money and get a realistic one. The fake trees are so good now that once the garland and ornaments are on you can't tell it's fake. Fake all the way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.